Spyware Detector - Con or No Con?

Actor One 13:26 26 Nov 2007

I recently accidentally clicked on a pop-up allowing tons of worms, viruses and malware to install itself on my computer.

Spybot, Ad-Aware found the culprits but after deleting them, there was obviously an .exe file somewhere re-installing them. They were insidious in that every five minutes they would pop up messages that were obviously fake that my machine was infected with Spyware (which it was) and could only get rid of them by "clicking here" and being guided to fake Spyware Cleaner sites (One of the malwares was Smitfraud-C).

I managed however to find on the internet Spyware Detector independently & downloaded it, it found the said worms & malware, but to remove them I had to purchase the software (about £16). The said malware was removed, and some sanity restored.

However when I now use Spybot Search & Destroy, it tells me that Spyware Detector is itself Malware, that installs "spyware" and then you have to purchase the software to uninstall it, just like the Smitfraud-C malware.

My question is have I been conned and if so what do I do about it?.

Spyware Detector does seem to find things, it`s just the manner of me having to purchase it that`s a bit galling if true.

gudgulf 15:15 26 Nov 2007

I decided to try the *free* scan on my own pc.

It was formatted and completely reinstalled just yesterday.

It scans clean with Avira Antivir av,Spybot S&D,Windows Defender,Eset(NOD32) online scanner and BitDefender online scanner.

Spyware Detector found 119 threats:

9 tracking cookies

110 *other references* including 5 trojans!

The cookies were all general Firefox profile cookies(harmless).The rest consisted of 109 registry entries inserted by SpywareBlaster (to protect the pc) and 1 harmless Windows Dll file.

If it fixed your problem it clearly isn't completely useless.

But it certainly uses a large number of false positives to get you to part with your cash.

spuds 19:27 26 Nov 2007

Download this free well recommended programme click here and see what that finds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?