Spyware and AOL

Southernboy 14:33 26 Jun 2005

AOL users will know that there is now a 'Spy Zapper' that pops up when you sign on, and searches for Spyware. In my case, it always reports in the negative.

Same yesterday. When I signed off I ran the AOL Spyware program which sits on the desktop. It reported three such programs, one being described as a Trojan! Now come neither the Zapper, nor Norton NIS picked up either?

I sometimes wonder just how safe this computer is!

HondaMan 14:38 26 Jun 2005

Why not send it to AOL and post their reply on the board. They offer all these "free" add-ons, but do they really work?

CurlyWhirly 22:56 26 Jun 2005

[QUOTE] They offer all these "free" add-ons, but do they really work?

I prefer the conventional approach like Spyware Blaster, Ad-aware, SpyBot, a-squared, etc.

HondaMan 20:22 27 Jun 2005

Here Here

rdave13 21:35 01 Jul 2005

Great ISP and I go online without using their software.
Thanks to CurlyWhirly and some problems he's had, I can now browse the net without using AOL software.
Gives my CPU breathing space.:)

pipedream 09:23 03 Jul 2005

Only this week I was called out to look at a problem with a PC on which AOL Spyzapper had been kept up to date & run daily, which had picked up & removed some entries. I then installed and ran MS AntiSpyware which found & removed 145 files & entries (some quite serious) and Adaware found another 6 after this! The PC now works OK again.

wiz-king 12:51 03 Jul 2005

I don't think any anti-virus is perfect, nor is any anti-spy ware or pop-up blocker come to that. You need to have one of each running alongside a firewall and the do a weekly scan with another set of programs to make sure you have not had something slip through the net. A belt & braces approach.

Carronade 02:06 09 Jul 2005

Bump

O2 16:47 10 Jul 2005

RDave13: I'd be interested about using AOL without their software. Do you mean you use IE and Outlook once you've logged-in? Cheers

CurlyWhirly 17:42 10 Jul 2005

click here

In actual fact it *isn't* me that deserves the thanks but the people who helped me as all I did was ask the question!

Luigimario5000 19:04 10 Jul 2005

My computer is slow... I dont want to use AOL browser because i am quite happy with Firefox. How do i use Firefox without AOL browser lurking in the taskbar?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie