Processors Fans Included with Processor
Motherboards Intel Intel - Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 1333fsb-D
Hard Drive 300GB SATA Hard Drive
Memory 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 (2x1Gb)
Cases Standard Black And Silver Impress Case
Power Supplies EZ cool 650 Watt PSU
Monitor 19 Inch Yuraku TFT widescreen MA9JB
Keyboards Microsoft remote keyboard & mouse wire
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP PRO (OEM)
Optical Drives DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe
Sound Card Sound Blaster LIVE 7.1 PLAYER
Speaker EDIFIER C3 2.1 speaker system
Labour 3 Year Warranty
Networking - Edimax Wireless EW-7128G LAN PCI Net

we are not gamers and just want pc for normal stuff like photos, music, kids school work and surfing etc.
we got our pc in 2002 and it is now soooo slow and nearly full up .
don't know enough about pc's and the details of the above are like a foreign language to me!

grateful for any advice.
will check back tomorrow as sleep beckons! :o)

The Kestrel 10:45 18 Jun 2008

This system looks as though it uses on-board graphics. You might like to consider having a dedicated graphics card with a DVI output. This would give you option, either now or later, of having a digital quality monitor and therefore better quality display. It might be useful if you do a lot of photographic work.

I am Spartacus 11:24 18 Jun 2008

You could save around £60 by choosing an E8400 rather than an E8500 processor. The performance difference will be negligible.

Also that motherboard has onboard sound so a Sound Blaster Live card isn't really necessary.

mermaid25 17:06 18 Jun 2008

The Kestrel

should I go for a digital moniter instead of the one shown. Would it be better in the long run?.

I am Spartacus

Itold the guy that My husband has lots of music and wants a great sound, so would that be why he sugested the sound card?

thanks very much for your input.
:o)

iscanut 17:44 18 Jun 2008

I don't know what difference a lack of monitor from Cougar would make to the price, but you can buy excellent 20 or 22 inch monitors with DVI for around £200 these days. The Samsung and LG models are very good. You might like to think of getting the monitor seperately.

I am Spartacus 18:15 18 Jun 2008

The speakers selected indicated that on board sound would be OK. I haven't seen any reviews of those speakers and don't know anything about them. I would recommend Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers for good sound at a low price but they no longer appear to be readily available.

I have a Samsung 226Bw 22" monitor and would highly recommend it. Mine was around £210 but I think they might be available at a lower price now.

gazzaho 18:45 18 Jun 2008

I don't want to step on anyones toes but I would imagine that the Creative sound card would have more features than the on-board sound chip. I myself would prefer it over the on-board one if playing music was a consideration.

The Kestrel 08:22 19 Jun 2008

If you go for a dedicated graphics card, with a DVI output, then I personally would buy a digital monitor as there is little price difference between a VGA and and a DVI monitor.

FatboySlim71 08:47 19 Jun 2008

I would recommend a dedicated graphics card, a larger hard drive, and also I would go for a Corsair PSU, there a much better PSU IMO.

I got a PC from Cougar a few months ago, but I purchased a monitor separately from somewhere else. The monitor I got gives me the choice of either VGA or DVI, I use DVI.

GaT7 10:49 19 Jun 2008

"we are not gamers and just want pc for normal stuff like photos, music, kids school work and surfing etc." - you can easily get by with a much lower spec than that, & save a lot of money. E.g. the CPU can be an Intel E4500/ AMD X2 4600 & will be more than sufficient.

"I have spoke to a guy at cougar and he recommended the following" - An E8500 for the stuff you'll be doing on it, is complete overkill!

I agree about getting your monitor & speakers from elsewhere as they'll be better quality for a similar price.

Agree too about having a dedicated graphics card (even if one's not a gamer). The lowest one offered would be much better than integrated stuff. Check online prices first as you'll probably get one cheaper elsewhere e.g. 8400GS click here = £22.70 with Super Saver delivery.

Any particular reason for XP Pro? Save ~£35 by going for XP Home over Pro.

How much is the initial spec you posted coming to please? Have you compared prices with any other company? G

mermaid25 12:15 19 Jun 2008

thank you all for your advice.

can anyone recommend any speakers and monitors.
good speakers are quite important.

before I looked at cougar, i looked at novatech and also dell (as our current one is a dell.

To be honest I wouln't know whether another system was better apart from the obvious, (size of hard drive and memory.)

I called cougar as they seem to get get good reviews on here.

To be fair to the guy at cougar, I did tell him that i wanted a fast processor (even if I don't really know what it means)
the price quoted for spec above was £791.28 including Vat
I wanted to get a really good system for under £800. would prefer not to have to buy too many bits from other sources but don't mind getting speakers and monitor elsewhere.

we have learnt a lot since we got our Pc in 2002. we had no previous knowledge of pc's at all.
I am hoping we get better!:o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?