Speakers for a laptop

Fateful Shadow 18:08 20 Apr 2004

I'm sure everyone who owns a laptop will agree with me that the sounds coming out of the inbuilt speakers are OK, but not that good. I'm looking for some speakers that I can attach via USB (or any other method if that's possible) to get a better sound out of my laptop.

Does anybody have some suggestions?

mikef. 18:19 20 Apr 2004

I use a pair of Sony active speakers that I used to use with my CD players and plug them into the headphones socket.

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 20 Apr 2004

You can get an external Creative Audigy sound card via USB and to that attach a set of speakers. But as mikef suggests, a regular set plugged into the headphone socket can be good.

Diodorus Siculus 18:26 20 Apr 2004

You can get an external Creative Audigy sound card via USB and to that attach a set of speakers. But as mikef suggests, a regular set plugged into the headphone socket can be good.

AndySD 18:41 20 Apr 2004

I use click here a touch on the expensive side but great sound for such small speakers.

Stuartli 09:22 21 Apr 2004

As your laptop probably only has a basic onboard sound chipset, you could just use some of the small speakers intended for portable equipment such as personal CD players.

Prices range from around a fiver (or less!) up to £20 or more and you should be able to try them out first at most outlets before making a decision.

Gaz 25 22:14 22 Apr 2004

Sound card = Creative Extigy external USB sound card I think Diodorus Siculus is talking about.

Speakers = Any decent sized and good sounding.

Some for you to look at:

click here - Very good quality indeed and decent clear bass output. And they are excellent for the size. But costly ;-) but trust me they do sound good.

click here - Great for the money, decent sound but not as good as the Bose. But theres a big price difference. :-)

click here Decent, since altec lansing are quite a good speaker manufacturer, these are cheap and chearful and sound arlight.

Good luck.

Stuartli 08:50 23 Apr 2004

So Altec Lansing is "quite a good speaker manufacturer"...:-)

It's regarded as one of the world's finest hi-fi speaker manufacturers and has been for many years - the same goes for Harman Kardon and not just in the speakers field.

Brian-336451 12:32 23 Apr 2004

I've used these (although it's one physical unit) for the last few months constantly travelling through Asia and Middle East with my laptop.

Batteries last a long time and there is a mains adapter too.

I do not know how or why the sound is SO good, but it is.

They are not cheap, but it is truly a case of you get what you pay for with these.

Excellent.

Gaz 25 12:59 23 Apr 2004

Yeah, I know.

But not to forget that your ears are the best way of evaluating a sound system.

Harmon Int. is part of crown international, and yes they are a very good make, same goes for Altec lansing...

But I wasnt favoring any particular one.

Stuartli 17:55 23 Apr 2004

I've been a hi-fi enthusiast for nearly 40 years...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?