is this speaker compatible with this laptop??

kush11 17:56 15 Sep 2007

Hi, I just ordered my dell inspiron 1520 and wanted to know if its able to connect the logitech X-530 5.1 speaker system to it without having to buy a soundblaster card or additional ports to the laptop in order for it to work, if not il go for the logitech 2.1 X-230......help please. thanks.

Totally-braindead 22:03 15 Sep 2007

It depends on 2 things. What outputs the laptop has and what inputs the speakers have.

My speakers for example have 3 3.5mm jack plugs and they connect to the 3 audio connectors on my onboard sound. The only thing I had to do is alter the sockets on my onboard sound to outputs, there was a simple built in program that did this.

I cannot 100% guarantee that the laptop will do the same but it almost certainly will and therefore you should be able to use your 5.1 speakers.

Wait till it arrives as I'm almost certain it will work you'll just have to alter some settings.

Totally-braindead 10:39 16 Sep 2007

I will have to bow to ßetas knowledge of the laptop. I had assummed that it was similar to onboard sound on a desktop on which you could use the inputs as outputs to connect up a 5.1 system, this appears from what he says not to be the case.
Sorry.

kush11 11:11 16 Sep 2007

ok thanks, but the 2.1 system would work right?

wee eddie 14:34 16 Sep 2007

an External Sound Card

Totally-braindead 16:31 16 Sep 2007

Yes the 2.1 would work its just that you would find that all the speakers wouldn't work IE you wouldn't get the 5.1 surround sound working.

There is stuff like this available click here bit big though or for laptops click here can't say how effective/easy they are to use as I have never seen one but presumably they are pretty simple.

kush11 18:00 16 Sep 2007

ok the external sound card seems tempting for the dell laptop...ne1 advise a cheap but decent sound card which I could get for the 5.1 sound system?

wee eddie 18:38 16 Sep 2007

I think that you'll have to do your own research there. They all connect through USB, as far as I know.

All the usual retailers sell them. Creative and Terratek both have good reputations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?