Sony Walkman NWE99

Stoneywood 12:43 15 Sep 2007

I have never been happy with the battery life of the above MP3 player and when a fresh battery was fitted and the unit remained off for three weeks, only to find the unit was inoperable, I send it off to Sony for repair.

Their answer is puzzling.
1. “your unit is working fully to specification”
2. “it is good practise to remove the battery from the unit. This will stop the battery from slowly discharging over time”

Some specification! Sony would seem to accept such poor performance and do not mention this possible discharge in the 70hrs/battery claim.
I was not impressed with the consolation of a free pack of batteries either, as it is the inconvenience of taking it out, e.g. on holiday, to find the battery flat and not particularly the cost.

lisa02 12:46 15 Sep 2007

Most batteries discharge over time not just Sony products.

When the device was inoperable why didn't you try a new battery?

A free pack of batteries is generous for you wasting their time.

Forum Editor 13:06 15 Sep 2007

all these batteries discharge slowly over time, it's normal, and I'm very surprised you didn't realise it.

It's not 'poor performance', it's the result of battery technology; no battery can hold a charge indefinitely.

Stoneywood 14:06 15 Sep 2007

When I posted, I presumed a level of intelligence/knowledge which is not now being shown.

I am not talking about rechargable batteries.
I am talking about weeks, not years.
And I am equipped with a battery test meter and am well acquainted with battery technology.

Both of these responses are bordering on cheek.

amonra 14:18 15 Sep 2007

Well if you are that well acquainted with battery technology, I'm surprised you asked !
A little common decency goes a long way.

Stoneywood 14:30 15 Sep 2007

amonra

Asked what?

Has everyone gone mad around here?

I expected logical comment.

Lisa02 and Forum Editor are quite simply wrong, irrespective of my MP3 problem. I have had proprietry batteries which held power for years.

Stoneywood 10:33 16 Sep 2007

Forum Editor wrote "all these batteries discharge slowly over time, it's normal, and I'm very surprised you didn't realise it.

It's not 'poor performance', it's the result of battery technology; no battery can hold a charge indefinitely."

I am very disappointed that someone in a position of trust would reply in such an inaccurate and dismissive style.
While, "no battery can hold a charge indefinitely," is patently true, the batteries that I mentioned in my original post have a "best by" date of 2014.
This would suggest a technical problem if they drained away in three weeks, when the unit was unused. - Yes? (That's a question Amonra and of course I tried another battery lisa02 )

lisa02 15:18 16 Sep 2007

Batteries lose power when left in a device. Depends on the type of battery and the device on how quickly it happens.

It's also better to remove them incase of leakage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?