Sony announces the DVDirect burner

TOPCAT® 19:37 12 Oct 2004

Sony announces DVDirect, the world's first standalone DVD recorder that doesn't necessarily need connecting to a PC. Shipping next month in the US at around $300, the drive supports DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW and can also be connected to a camcorder or VCR for tape-to-disc recording real time. A USB2 link connects it to a PC when required.

I'll bet our version will cost over £300 when it appears in the UK. TC.

click here

Magik ®© 08:34 13 Oct 2004

of course it will, we are not known as rip off britain, for nothing............

TBH1 14:38 13 Oct 2004

can't understand this, maybe I'm missing something but - - -can't you already get DVD recorders for considerably less than this ?? Yamada 8000 springs to mind at £120 - - -

SEASHANTY 16:13 13 Oct 2004

Don't understand it either. Neither of my two Panasonic Home DVD Recorders need connecting to a PC to record DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs or to the Hard drive in the DMR-E85 model. Must be missing something here. None of the very many different makes of DVD Home Recorders (including the Sony's) currently on sale need any connection to a PC to record from a camcorder, VCR or TV. They all record in real time and at various video qualities by using the variable bit system to record in XP 1 hour SP 2 hours LP 4 hours ELP (6 or 8) hours and the flexible recording mode onto a standard 4.7GB
blank disc.

SEASHANTY 16:22 13 Oct 2004

Only advantage that this nerw Sony has is that it appears it can be linked to a PC by USB2 cable. Perhaps some people would wish to edit video files using the PC hard drive but this would be very time consuming. Forgot to add in my last posting that the newer Panasonic DVD PLAYERS can also read DVD-RAM discs as well as the DVDR's.

TBH1 16:53 13 Oct 2004

SEASHANTY - your showin' off now, ain't ya ???

;-)

SEASHANTY 18:54 13 Oct 2004

Not really. I try to promulgate the point that using A PC based writer to transfer VHS & camcorder files is more darned trouble than its worth. It's far easier to use a domestic DVD recorder - all you need is a scart lead..... and a few DVDR's, of course. They will certainly see the demise of the VCR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017