Something well worth remembering

TopCat® 16:47 29 May 2009

when your twelve month guarantee runs out and that expensive purchase breaks down. Apologies if this has already been 'aired' on here, but today is the first I've heard of it. TC. click here

LANDCRUISER 17:17 29 May 2009

good advice,thanks i might need this myself,worth looking at members pca

Teaboy 17:36 29 May 2009

Nice one topCat- very interesting.

beeuuem 18:20 29 May 2009

But not as good as the prevailing legislation in the UK
• Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

• Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

• It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.
from click here

Forum Editor 18:39 30 May 2009

is because we have better protection in this country, as has been pointed out by beeuuem.

We have no need of the EU two-year rule, because our system gives us better legal protection.

Input Overload 11:12 31 May 2009

Thanks for that TC.

anchor 12:45 31 May 2009

This is a quote from the Guardian article;

"The UK's Sale of Goods Act gives consumers a longer protection period – up to six years, although in practice consumers find it difficult to enforce".

I made similar comments in a recent thread. Court action may be necessary to achieve ones rights.

anthonystorey 16:24 01 Jun 2009

but as it reads the EU law might be easier to enforce (obviously if less than two years) so stating that under EU law i want a repair/ replacement you should get an immediate response just like our one year guarantee only two so having this law is a good thing for the consumer so ill disagree with the Forum editor on this one i hope this makes sense
tony

TopCat® 16:47 01 Jun 2009

Closing this now as I see it has already been discussed and commented upon at click here Thanks for the comments here. TC.

Forum Editor 18:23 01 Jun 2009

anyone thinks it will be easier to get satisfaction because there's a two-year EU consumer protection law.

As far as I can see, virtually nobody had even heard of it until the recent publicity over the Tesco case. Our protection is far better.

anthonystorey 23:23 01 Jun 2009

if you can get better satisfaction under EU law you might as well use it.
tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?