Some Smart TV's are smarter than others!

john bunyan 11:30 12 Jan 2015
Answered

I mainly watch the normal Freeview channels. In the last couple of years I have bought 2 "Smart" TV's for a bedroom and a kitchen/diner. The first was a LG 42LM760T - bought for its picture quality and the very thin bezel. It had 3D, and "Smart" features. I have not used the 3D!. When I tried the "catch up" feature I found that the wireless download speed was 0.8mbps in same location that an iPad gave over 7 - corrected by a pair of homeplugs. Then I found that only BBC iPlayer is supported (presumably because the software has not downloaded flash player), so I use a Laptop or iPad with an HDMI for ITV ,4oD catch up etc..

I now also have a Samsung UE22H566A This has a wireless speed of over 7mbps (Router at 8) and has 4oD, BBC and ITV catch up.

My point is that these differences were underplayed by the salesmen. I wonder why Samsung have ITV and 4oD and LG does not?

I am well into my 70's but fortunately fairly au fait with thes issues but I bet many are puzzled by such differences and how to solve them.

spuds 13:19 12 Jan 2015
Answer

Perhaps off subject slightly, but our main television is a Sony Bravia, which is suppose to have all the 'finest' gizmos available at the time of manufacture.

The only problem with me, is that I have not got past the "how to use remote" on/off, change channel stage.

Keep promising myself, that one day, I will change my glasses, take a few paracetomol , book a few hours, find the instruction book or cd/dvd, then perhaps understand what I purchased a few years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?