Software Piracy - is there a better way?

Bargee 11:11 28 Apr 2003

Hi, this is a follow up to the interesting debate arising from my "XP - am I paranoid?" posting & email discussions with the Forum Editor. He tells me that the monitoring & re-activation feature of XP will be seen in more & more software as the manufactures tackle this problem. I have an idea which I think would be more effective, cause fewer irritations & therefore less compaints from people like me!

As I am sure we all know, most software will install & run without being registered. Surely it makes more sense for the manufacturers to build the software so that it will only activate after registration. It is perfectly feasable for the software to start up with the registration screen & internet explorer only. Once registered it will only work for you & if you're stupid enough to burn a copy for a friend, he or she will be unable to use it because the companie's records will show that the registration process is being accessed from a different source thereby raising a security alert which could then lead to investigation & possible prosecution.

Yes I know that basically XP does something similar, but only after it detects what it considers to be an "illegal" installation or major hardware upgrade.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?