So easy to switch ISPs

cj-57 20:48 10 Mar 2010

I put up with really poor broadband performance for ages thinking switching ISPs would be a pain, but it ended up being so easy. MAC code within 4 days from AOL, up and running with BT within 4 days of ordering over the phone - delivering more than twice the line speed and at half the price for the first 18 months. OK I had a few e-mail changes to advise, but that's a one off and I get the better performance day in day out. I'm not a 'techie' person so would recommend anyone who would really like to change to get on and do it.

MAJ 21:21 10 Mar 2010

Yes, cj-57, it's real easy to change in most cases, although 4 days to get your MAC is real slow.

interzone55 10:27 11 Mar 2010

Most ISPs will give you the MAC immediately, so AOL are a bit slow there.

I've changed ISP so often in the past that I stopped using ISP provided email long ago.
I've been using Google's email service since the early beta stage (so early in fact that I managed to get my own name as an email address), so now I can change ISP without changing email address...

Covergirl 12:21 11 Mar 2010

. . . . you've moved to BT and managed to get a deal half the price of AOL. And for 18 months ?

Comparable packages with each work out at cheaper for AOL - BT = £27.24 AOL = £21.24. That's for the lowest package - 10GB allowance, free weekend calls and line rental.

I've never heard of 18 months at half price (usually just the first 3 months).

Check what you're getting and let us know the package you have signed up for - I'd be interested if it's cheap - thanks

ronalddonald 12:23 11 Mar 2010

have always been slow even though the weer the most advertised internet provider when they use to offer the software cd free from most retailers

Covergirl 12:24 11 Mar 2010

. . . . this may be a BT spam post . . . but I'll wait and see what cj comes back with.

I mean, whoever heard of BT actually being cheaper than anybody else ?

ventanas 12:43 11 Mar 2010

I think it might be, anyone who thinks they've got a cheaper deal from BT must be on another planet.
I'm in the processing of leaving them, both for BB and phone. Getting the same deal elsewhere for £15 a month less.
And I don't think much of their service either.

hugh144 16:45 11 Mar 2010

Regarding BT - I've been with Orange for a long time and paying almost £20 pm - maximum 2 megs. BT have written to me offering a fixed £9.99 pm for 18 months. Offer ends on 31st March - available by invitation only.

cj-57 16:52 11 Mar 2010

They send me a little Reward Card through the mail, rang 0800 345 7424 and quoted B799. I've got written confirmation so I'm comfortable I'm getting what I expected for the price I'm paying. It's only Broadband Option 1 (normally arounf £16)but more than adequate for my use and as near as dammit comparable with my AOL Silver.

Ventanas, you are entitled to your opinion but I know exactly what I've got and where I live!!

Covergirl 19:18 11 Mar 2010

Good offer - if you can hack the 10GB allowance.

I perused BTs Talk Surf & Watch deal earlier - price looks horrendous after month 3 and I don't think you'd get much watched in 10GB - an hours worth of iPlayer is round about 650MB.

Well done again ! May many others benefit from this offer.

cj-57 20:28 11 Mar 2010

Thanks Covergirl. Do most of most of my viewing via normal TV with just the odd catch up on iPlayer so 10gb shouldn't be a problem.

Really just intended to let people like myself who had worried about switching know it was painless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017