SMS to BBC, credit issue & phone damage concern!.

gazmix 16:06 06 Apr 2007

Hi
My mobile phone stopped working properly & was sent back by Vodafone to be repaired.

They gave me a link so i could get a progress check on repair etc. I checked the link & it said the problem was a software issue caused by corrupt SMS/MMS or email sent to phone. The kind that can happen when buying ringtones, logos etc!, This i haven't done. But i have been recieving SMS messages from an unusual number that are in 'bold'letters & say WAP PUSH.

I called Vodafone consumer info & told them the number that is pretty long that came to my phone & they said it was linked to '85058' that is the text number you send to BBC radio, when entering a competition or commenting on an issue. This is an 'Auto retrieve message" & an "NUA" number (Reverse charge text message).
Some credit had been removed from my phone, around 15p per text, which arrived in 4 x sets of 3 so 1.80 in all.

I was told to text 'STOP' to 85058 & call a number that is a company that deals with texts to the BBC, called 'Wireless Information'. I called them & went through the options given & apparently now, i won't recieve anymore. I got a free message saying thanks for my 'STOP' message i sent to '85058' & it came from click here

So, how come the BBC are involved with a company that does this & do all people that text the BBC's radio shows get this issue!. I won't be texting the BBC again, as it destroys software in your phone!

Any thoughts on this issue!

Gaz

gazmix 20:47 06 Apr 2007

Anyone??
Or is everyone on Easter holiday:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?