Slow BT Broadband

onthelimit 10:56 23 Mar 2011

Friends in a local village have been getting slower and slower speeds. I went and checked PC for clutter and viruses - AOK. Router is plugged into the main BT socket with a filtered faceplate. No extensions. Speed test showed 0.1 Mb download and 0.39 upload! BT are playing hard to get, and won't admit a problem. Others in the area (off the same pole) are getting around 2.5 Mb.

Any advice on the way ahead, please?

spuds 11:40 23 Mar 2011

"Any advice on the way, ahead"

Never give up, is the advice that I offer.

Just had a prolonged problem with my intermittent speeds and disconnections. Eventually got the ISP(who doesn't want to spend their money) and BT to admit that there was a problem at the exchange. Apparently the problem was hard to detect, except through a constant monitoring process, which I was involved with. Sending reports by a special link.

They should have changed some components at the local exchange yesterday, and I expect a report later today, as to what they have done.

When you do speed-tests, try different ones from different websites as a comparison, including BT's own report speed-tester.

You could also try doing separate 'ping tests', and see what that shows. There are a number of ways for this. Some quick, others more intense. A quick way is to perhaps use click here which will also 'grade' the line being used.

Here's a couple of speed-test websites worth trying click here click here

PC Advisor also have a speed-test facility and link.

onthelimit 12:00 23 Mar 2011

Thanks spuds, I'll keep trying. The problem with trying other speed test sites is the time it takes to load pages - forever! But, I'll persist. I did try checks at the same time from this PC and a neigbours with the same site. 0.1 and 2.3. This was using the BT test, which is the ISP for both houses.

spuds 12:11 23 Mar 2011

Run the ping test click here that will soon tell you the line grade results.

HondaMan 12:12 23 Mar 2011

Try plugging directly into the test socket; check filter by substituting another one; check cable for damage. Check also the router's set up via the web-based set-up wizard. That may give some indication, also check with the ISP to see if the problem is one they know about.

Good luck!

onthelimit 12:37 23 Mar 2011

Thanks HondaMan. Directly into the socket with new filter and new lead. No change. I'll look at the router setup, but this problem has been a progressive one.

HondaMan 13:34 23 Mar 2011

Try clearing your browser's cache

donki 14:05 23 Mar 2011

As above keep at them, they should ask you to conduct a number of tests over a few days and report back to them. Keep a written diary of contact and test speeds, dont be scared to ask for your telephone call to be escalated to a line manger or say clearly you wish to make an official complaint, failing that send a written complaint by recorded delivery.

click here

Hope that linky works.

dfh 14:07 24 Mar 2011

Its seems to be a common problem at the moment.
click here

onthelimit 17:37 24 Mar 2011

Thanks - very similar problem. i will urge them to keep trying.

vthiji10 12:23 28 Mar 2011

Hi,my my download speed:1.08kbps
my upload speed:0.86kbps
i checked my speed test here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone