Skype could close down

VNAM75 20:37 31 Jul 2009

click here

If it does happen, what are good alternatives especially ones with similiar features? How did ebay manage to pay £1.6bn without securing the technology behind skype?

Stuartli 00:22 01 Aug 2009

Skype was originally conceived by those involved with KaZaa. See:

click here

Some more info on the development:

click here

I particularly recall it because the younger offspring found out about the technology at the time and let me know about the Skype potential.

It was a bit rough and ready at first, but we both used it (and still do) to contact people in other parts of the world at no cost.

spuds 11:31 01 Aug 2009

There will always be a replacement with modern technology, but it may well come with a cost!.

In the old days of 'ticka-tape' telex, then Prestel, or even booking a telephone call in some early day places, worldwide communication were 'top-knotch' but look how things have changed over the past 30 years or so.

iscanut 12:32 01 Aug 2009

Prestel !! That a name from the past. I remember having to plug my BT handset into a rubber acoustic coupler device in order to connect at 1200 baud, a mere fraction of the speed possible today. Even then,it was possible to "email" other users.

Stuartli 15:54 01 Aug 2009

As fast as that...:-)

You were lucky.

john bunyan 16:07 01 Aug 2009

I use Vonage ( about £8 a month) . They give you a little box to plug in to your modem and a (second) phone no. Then you use it like a mormal phone - various packages - I have UK, Ireland, Australia, YS, Canada, Germany free unlimited.

Stuartli 16:13 01 Aug 2009

My TalkTalk £9.99 AnyTime Internatioanl Package provides broadband with speeds averaging between 6.5Mb and 7.3Mb, free AnyTime UK calls and free AnyTime international calls to 36 countries including those in Europe, Australia, the US and Canada.

VNAM75 16:40 01 Aug 2009

Stuartli, that phone package is a very good deal but I prefer cable broadband because I've heard its better technology and more reliable, though I have never had bb through a bt line. Your high speeds are probably due to proximity to the local exchange?

spuds 17:50 01 Aug 2009

Prestel, oh happy days.

When I used Prestel on one occasion, it was for (quantity) 5 holiday brochures for myself and friends. Delivery driver arrives with 5 large boxes full of brochures (possibly 100 per box). When I checked with the holiday brochure company, they thought that I was 'trade' - "because no public person would be using Prestel".

Most of my Sunday evening sparetime, was taken up with that little service and the ever faithful(must be on waiting list) Sinclair.

How modern technology as changed :O)

Stuartli 21:43 01 Aug 2009

>>Your high speeds are probably due to proximity to the local exchange?>>

580 yards as the crow flies (click here). However, by road it's at least twice as far.

My best mate is also with TalkTalk and lives much further from the same exchange - he gets 5Mb to 5.5Mb using a wireless router connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?