jarani 21:58 19 Sep 2006

anyone with experience of using skype - any comments please ? - jarani

anskyber 22:56 19 Sep 2006

Yes. I ditched Messenger because I found it to be unstable. Skype has good audio, in my view, and good video.

There are of course add ons for those who wish to pay and use it as a telephone alternative. If basic coms through computers is required it my current favorite.

Forum Editor 23:10 19 Sep 2006

so I'll move it over now.

iscanut 08:24 20 Sep 2006

I have switched from MSN Messenger to Skype and have not regretted it. As it is free, give it a go and see how you get on. You have nothing to lose. The video has been a lot better than Messenger, although it helps for users to have a fast Broadband connection.

Bingalau 17:26 20 Sep 2006

I've used Skype for over a year now for calls to Australia. My computer to landline over there works out about 30 pence for 30 minutes. If the person at the other end is using his/her computer then it's free. Sound is clearer than many calls in this country using normal phone. So I have no complaints at all. ..Bingalau..

jarani 17:40 20 Sep 2006

hi guys - many thanks for your comments which have been greatfully received - all positive !
- the informaton may be of use to others who try to chose between msn and skype - jarani

zant 17:04 21 Sep 2006

Suits my purpose to a T. Have a son in Johanneaburg,a daughter in Bishkek and a grandson in boarding school. Easy to keep in touch and of course three ways if we wish. I purchased a phone from PMC Telecom. Good luck.

kdt 22:02 21 Sep 2006

talked to my niece in montreal canada at the weekend quite clear bearing in mind £10 webcamera/headphones from asda

Stuartli 00:42 22 Sep 2006

Talk to my daughter in the Caymans regularly and freqaently joined by the younger offspring using Skype.

My backphone plus mike with volume control cost the remarkable sum of 99p from a local discount store - far superior to the headset and mike I originally used and which was most uncomfortable to wear.

I've seen the same backphone on sale for up to £6.99 at other stores.

Diodorus Siculus 01:13 22 Sep 2006

It's good, especially recent versions that seem to have ironed out a lot of problems.

I use it mainly for PC to PC calls and it does the job great; some of the rates for calling mobiles in parts of Africa are high though so I prefer to buy a calling card from the local street vendors.

Just remember to check the prices of the destination country.

Diodorus Siculus 01:14 22 Sep 2006

And to echo Stuartli, be sure to get a comfortable headset if that's the route you want to go down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?