Sky - Telephone Line testing

AFoxyLady 13:36 05 Mar 2009

We subscribe to Sky HD - We also have BT broadband. We have been looking at changing over as comparing prices etc Sky def looks better value, and also is "unlimited"

I gave them a call yesterday, and they said they could not test my telephone, and the post code I supplied was not the same as BT.

It is - as I had the BT bill in front of me. They could not quote a price for Broadband speed or anything, as they could not test the line.

Would this be because we do not have the telephone line connected to the sky box? Has anyone else had any dealings with sky broadband at all and their service?

user8 15:03 05 Mar 2009

Nothing but praise for Sky.
Moved over from BT for telephone & Virgin for BB.
BT were easy to migrate from.
Virgin were not, but that's a long story!

Kevscar1 17:03 05 Mar 2009

When does your BT contract run out. Possible bad news.

click here

anniesboy 08:37 06 Mar 2009

I have Sky HD tv ,They can only supply Sky Connect broadband to me in South Oxfordshire.Hence Im staying with Brightview ISP at present.
Can you go to Sky online and enter your phone number that should tell what they can provide.
Not having phone line connected to your Sky box wont matter.All that will mean you wont be able to use Sky telephone service to check your Sky account and order Box Office films etc

AFoxyLady 14:15 06 Mar 2009

Hi Kevscar - Not sure - I did see all the bad news, but think we are on option 2. I just got an e-mail from them today, saying I had signed up for Broadband talk, but not used it, subsequently it would be deleted if not used for 90 days. Have to confess was not aware that I had signed up for Broadband Talk!

We subscribe to sky anyway - and thought it might be much easier. I have no idea why they can't "check" my phone line as Anniesboy stated go to their site.

I did and this is the reply:

"your area. To get Sky Broadband products today, you will need to supply a MAC code. Currently we estimate that the maximum download speed your line could support is between 8-16 Mb.
If after activation your connection speed does not match the estimate provided above, this does not necessarily mean there is a fault on your line.
There are a number of factors which influence the speed that you experience online, such as the distance to your exchange and the quality of your telephone wiring at home. Speeds will also vary throughout the day as the amount of people on the internet worldwide changes and are often slower at peak times (5pm till 12am).
You can visit the Sky.com Help Centre at any time for tips on how to improve speeds and get the most out of your Sky Broadband"

Spose I need to now double check my BT and see what plan we are signed up to and if we can get out, and if Sky can then come through and check.

Oh, if only everything was so easy!!! Not....

Kevscar1 16:24 06 Mar 2009

Just ask BT for the MAC code. They should give you this which you pass onto sky. They will then arrange the transfer for you.

Sky try to be helpful but I have wanted to join SKY broadband for some years and every time i ask them I receive £17.99 for up to 8mb as my BT exchange is not upgraded yet Could I check whether my exchange is offnet or on net with BT
BT really give you the runaround and never connect you to customer service to find out
Just like swimming in a duck pond backwards or upside down lol

Kevscar1 20:15 07 Mar 2009

Go here and enter details. It will tell you what's available at your exchange

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?