Sky Broadband speed

User-88C275E8-EB03-4BC4-A4366AF1623A2182 12:13 18 Oct 2006

I have been on Sky Braoadband for a month now via their Netgear produced wireless router. I am paying for the MAX package up to 16mb dowload speed. Now, I appreciate no one expects to get the full speed especially in the evenings but I don't think I have managed anything faster then 8mb so far. Has anyone else signed up for Sky and found their download speeds well short of what was promised?

Dipso 13:48 18 Oct 2006

I have seen a few posts from people complaining about the speeds but you have to live fairly near to the telephone exchange to have a chance of getting the full 16Meg.

There are tools like this click here that can give an estimate of what you are likely to receive prior to taking the plunge.

superhoops 14:58 18 Oct 2006

I was on max package and never got over 5mb, sometimes as low as 0.3mb. Eventually got through on the phone by ringing midnight and she said that I should never have been put on that package as my line was only good for 6mb. She downgraded the package there and then.

Thanks people. I have spoken to Sky who seem to be having teething problems (there's a surprise). They say they are working on it and I should check again in a week or so to see if the speed improves. Superhoops, your check tool shows my line can support 12Mbs. Sky did promise to drop me to a lower package if things don't improve so no quarrel with that....and they answered the phone in 2 minutes!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?