Sky+, Broadband and BT

kiddgame2000 13:50 26 Feb 2009

Getting married in June trying to get the house we are moving into hooked up with SKY+ and broadband.

I am not a current sky customer and do not care if the broadband is from sky or another provider.

There is currently no active BT phone line in the house.

Could someone please confirm if the following is what i need to do and if this is the best way to go about things?

1) Get BT to activate the phone line to the house
2) Phone sky and get them to come out and set up the SKY+
3) Search for a broadband provider

I have been reading on the sky website about sky line rental, has anyone any idea what that is about and if it is better using it than BT line rental?

Thanks

tullie 14:56 26 Feb 2009

My daughter just had a similer set up to yours installed and i believe that though she dident use a landline,the line was there to the house and sky took care of all that.If you take line rental with sky it is cheaper also.I assume that you just need to be at the house to have everything installed,which may be the tricky bit if you havent moved yet.I would ring sky.

tullie 14:57 26 Feb 2009

Forgot to add.Take the sky BB package also.

kiddgame2000 17:20 26 Feb 2009

Ideally i would like to have line rental with sky, broadband with sky and of course the sky+ as one direct debit is preferable to 2 or 3.

There is a phone line to the house it just isn't activated so i am assuming if i go for line rental with sky they just activate this line and i pay them instead of BT?

I am also going to install the sky+ cable myself as i would like it done right as i was less than impressed with the job they made of my parents installation.

Perhaps a phone call to sky is the answer.

tullie 20:31 26 Feb 2009

Dont be surprised if they have to install your sky cable.

Kevscar1 21:30 26 Feb 2009

They will have to go up on the roof to install the dish so will install the cable as well. We just told them where we wanted it to come into the house and they did it that way.

tullie 21:48 26 Feb 2009

So its done?

oresome 15:06 27 Feb 2009

If there isn't an active phone line in the house, I wouldn't be surprised if you had to get BT involved, who would either charge an exhorbitant amount for providing the connection or tie you into a long contract on the phone calls and line rental.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?