Sims 2 will not play expansion packs on Laptops

Bucko1 17:05 28 Nov 2006

I have just bought a new laptop with a high end spec to replace my dead desktop PC and my daughter asked me to load the Sims2 games onto it for her. The Sims2 Original game and the Nightlife expansion pack play fine, but install any other expansion pack and every time you click to play, you get the start splash screen come up and then shortly after a message asking you to put the disc into the cd/dvd drive, even though it's already in there.

I have searched loads of forums and it seems this is something to do with copy protection. EA Games advice is to upgrade your cd/dvd writers firmware. Mine by the way, is the latest version and it still wont work. Following is a reply I copied from a forum post, which basically is a message from EA Games that it's tough luck:-

Here is the official response from EA games reference any laptops.

"Unfortunatly laptops are not supported due to the fact the manufacturer heavily modifies the components to fit in smaller spaces, sometimes losing some of thier capacity to function as well as thier desktop counterparts. You may be able to get updates from your manufacturer for your laptop that resolve this. Unfortunatly there isnt much more we can do for you. Thank you for your patience"

There must be people out there who have bought this game in good faith and now can't play it. You'd think they would update the game cases to say laptops are not supported though I find it a bit strange in that Sims expansion packs are the only games that don't work.

This situation is crazy and I feel really angry that once again it's the consumers who are being ripped off by software vendors. I have paid a lot of money for these games and now I can't use them.

Has anyone else experienced this and did anyone find a work around?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?