Should I Upgrade or Replace Desktop

Soet90 21:17 08 May 2015

Hello!

All I am looking for is some people's opinions on my Computer.

To make a long story short,I built my PC for a little over 7 years ago and during this time, different parts have been added and replaced, and everything has worked without major problems right up until the year 2013 when I decided to switch from air cooling to water cooling. I still don't know why but my water cooling system sprung a leak.

I was able to save a few parts but during the next year almost all parts had to be replaced.but because of lack of time and money,I decided to replace all damaged parts with other old parts that I had at home at the time.

I had some minor Problems with my old parts but I could still run the program I needed and was able to play Battlefield ; ). So i don't really care that much.

But yesterday my Graphics card broke down and I had to take drastic measures to make it work.

so here is the question for the the community

should i just get a new graphics card? (and in the case what card would you recommend?) my last 3 graphic card have melted so it needs to be able to handle heat :P

Or

should just build a brand new Computer?

my specs are listed below:

Motherboard: Dell xps 720

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Ram 4gb

Graphics Radeon X1950 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (is what i have now when my old broke down) Will be replace soon.

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Dell XPS720
Total amount of system memory 4,00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 4

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 699 GB

Disk partition (466 GB Total)

Media drive CD/DVD

Disk partition (100 MB Total)

Disk partition (135 GB Total)

Disk partition (98 GB Total)

Media drive CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type Radeon X1950 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) Total available graphics memory 2046 MB Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 1790 MB Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 Secondary monitor resolution 1680x1050 DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

HondaMan 09:10 11 May 2015

The life expectancy of a modern computer is about 5 years. Anything over that is a bonus.

My advice, buy another one. I wouldn't bother building as, apart from the fun of doing it, it will certainly not save you money. MESH computers sell on what they call an open-case basis. In other words opening your case to add or upgrade hardware will not invalidate your warranty. You could also check with other manufacturers suppliers to see what they say about this.

mole1944 05:28 12 May 2015

Option (1) build your own,you'll get satisfaction, but if you cock up,it will be expensive.Option (2)get a pre-built on if things go wrong you have a guarantee so it can repaired at others expense.Me i'd go for option 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone