Should I buy one of these or build,budget £200

User-1657312 14:44 09 Jan 2011

I have £200ish for a pc(monitor etc not needed) it would need to be a good all-rounder for both gaming photoshop and general use. I don't know a great deal about tech stuff, all I know is I need at least 2gb ram. HD space isnt too important as I have an external hard drive.
I am willing to read up more and attempt to build one but only if it is definitely worth it in terms of saving money and optimum spec.

The links below are what seem to be the best I can get for around £200 anyone's opinions or advice on the specs below or alternatives would be much appreciated, thanks.

click here

click here

click here

HondaMan 15:40 09 Jan 2011

For what you need to do, you will need to spend a lot more. Websites that cannot use correct tyerminology should be avoided at all costs!

These are all from eBay. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and what you will be getting - forget it!

HondaMan 15:41 09 Jan 2011

Tyerminology = terminology

User-1657312 16:27 09 Jan 2011

OK thanks for the advice I was looking on eBay due to budget. I think I might attempt to buy the parts and build it(with help). This means I would have longer and more to spend £300-400?

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad-core Processor (£100)

am I correct in thinking all AM3 motherboards are compatible with the above processor? If so I was looking at this..
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE, MATX, socket AM3 Motherboard (£60)

Corsair 4GB ram (£45)

Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache) (£30)

I have absolutely no Idea what affordable graphics/sound card and other bits I would need. Again any help and advice with this would be great.

spuds 16:30 09 Jan 2011

Looking at the list that you have given, they all need extras, and 2 of those require the operating systems, which will add further expense to your rather low budget to your requirements.

Warranty wise on the three seems to range from 30 days to 3 years. The feedback from all the sellers seem good considering that the sellers have been in business for 10,9,5 years respectively.

The one with reference 170587309049 seems to refer to upgrades, but using the link in the advert, there seems to be none available.

Regarding self-build, this would depend on how you will obtain parts. I have just been pricing up a 'basic' computer, and the parts will cost in the region of £160/£190, excluding O/S and case. For completion, I would imagine that the final self-build bill will be around £280/£290.

User-1657312 16:43 09 Jan 2011

I have a copy of vista and I have keyboard mouse monitor and a 1tb external hard drive. In reference to the links above I think the middle one would be the one I'd go with.

However I'm leaning more towards spending more time and money in acquiring parts for a self build any one have a list or link to the parts I need that I haven't mentioned above. Thanks.

User-1657312 16:44 09 Jan 2011

I have a copy of vista and I have keyboard mouse monitor and a 1tb external hard drive. In reference to the links above I think the middle one would be the one I'd go with.

However I'm leaning more towards spending more time and money in acquiring parts for a self build any one have a list or link to the parts I need that I haven't mentioned above. Thanks.

User-1657312 18:29 09 Jan 2011

I have selected a number of things on the wishlist below for a proposed build I have no idea if they are all compatible or any good, they seem to be to me with my limited knowledge. Have I forgotten anything? Which motherboard, graphics card, psu or case to go with i dont know, the cheaper the better but i dont want to sacrifice functionality.

click here

any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HondaMan 15:23 10 Jan 2011

Sorry for introducing this question here, but,"Regarding self-build, this would depend on how you will obtain parts. I have just been pricing up a 'basic' computer, and the parts will cost in the region of £160/£190, excluding O/S and case. For completion, I would imagine that the final self-build bill will be around £280/£290."

What spec is that?

spuds 18:29 10 Jan 2011

I'll give you the Ebuyer quickcode numbers.

M/B 181968
H/D 124228
CPU 237554
Memory 178942
Dvd 176026
Cooler 126790

I have a variance on some of the items.

The PSU in the case is 350w, but this will be changed for a 550w for £14.50.

O/S might be Windows XP or Linux.

GaT7 19:30 10 Jan 2011

I notice none of the links or suggestions mention an all-important dedicated graphics card.

Remember, for games, to always go for the best graphics card you can afford. Even if that means sacrificing a quad-core CPU for a dual-core one.

There's virtually no difference between dual/quad-core CPUs in games & the same graphics card, with many dual-cores equalling/beating their dearer quad-core cousins. But there can be a significant difference in gaming performance between an average & good-excellent graphics card. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?