Shops Overcharging

bocat_0 16:55 21 Jul 2008

My mum was telling me her friend (who is 70+) was charge £5.18 for 6 eggs (just normal eggs not even free range!).

She bought them from her local shop (well one of those grocery/money wiring shops).

Are they allowed to charge this much?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:00 21 Jul 2008

I think your friend may be taking the mickey out of you or your friend is a bit gullible. Shops can charge what they want and if people are dim enough to pay the price, then so be it.

G

cluckinbell 17:06 21 Jul 2008

Are they allowed to charge this much?

Shops can charge whatever the market can support, if people were willing to pay £100 for a dozen eggs they would charge that.

peter99co 17:42 21 Jul 2008

Why don't you visit the shop and see for yourself. It maybe that the shop took advantage of an old lady. It does sound a tad expensive>

Arnie 14:05 23 Jul 2008

"Why don't you visit the shop and see for yourself."

Good advice peter99co, but make sure bocat_0 that your mum's friend takes the receipt with her.

Covergirl 12:42 24 Jul 2008

. . . don't appear to go together.

Not even our local (big chains) Spar and Mills issue receipts - unless you ask for one in advance I guess.

I think someone has made a mistake here - probably more likely shortchanged - could be an error eitherway - lady hands over £5 thinks its £10 or vice versa.

Arnie 13:29 24 Jul 2008

"Not even our local (big chains) Spar and Mills issue receipts - unless you ask for one in advance I guess."

That really surprises me. Even our local Poundland shop issues a receipt. They are good quality printed ones too, unlike some large companies' ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone