shopping for a home use pc

kalu 23:41 07 Feb 2004

i am shopping for a pc for home use.budget around £900.couple of recommendations i got is to go for dell make.the spec i was looking for was a p4 with aroung 3.00ghz speed.i have not heard any listings in pc advisor magazine.iwould like to hear comments from anyone who has dell desktop.

bfoc 10:10 08 Feb 2004

You do a quick search of the thread for Dell.

In the last week you will find 3 threads, including mine, that might help you decide.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:17 08 Feb 2004

I contract to an oil drilling compnay that has over 6000 Dell machines. My GF works for an American stockbroking firm that has over 9000 Dells. Need I say more? However, for home use, you would be better going to PCWorld and seeing if they have any Medions in. They have some good deals on Compaqs as well. Dell are excellent business computers but tend to be a bit 'bare' for home use. Unless you are heavily into gaming (and then you would be spending more than £900) there is no earthly reason why a 3.0 processor would be needed. Anyhting from a 2Ghz upwards will be more than sufficient.

G

961 13:16 08 Feb 2004

Agree with Gandalf. No need for anything over £700.

PCWorld gives you the ability to see it, try it, and take it home. No hassle over delivery, delay, etc etc. You do not need an extended warranty

Try for an AMD based machine with a 2500 Barton processor

If you go mail order read the threads on the various companies here first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?