SFF Chassis - Socket A

NinkyRudes 16:18 03 Jan 2008

I hope someone out there can help.

I have a small handful of PCs at home, from an Athlon XP2400 through to a Core 2 8800GTX gaming rig. I also have varous piles of components such as processors and hard drives through to fans and cables.

What I would like to do is to turn an old Socket A Sempron processor, some old sticks of DDR-333, an 80Gb HDD and a DVD burner into a small, low powered living room PC. It doesn't need to be able to run Media Centre or HD video or much, but I have a handful of old graphics boards (PCI, AGP & PCI-e) that all output to S-Video or basic component video.

The main use of the pc will be to watch avi files on an old 36 inch panasonic CRT telly. Possible a bit of internet but not necessarily.

Does anyone know of a retailer that would be able to sell me a slice of history in the form of an old barebones SFF chassis, remembering it needs to run a Sempron (or Celeron or P4 or Althon XP)? My budget is £100ish, and looks are largely unimportant.

Is eBay my only choice, or is there some terrific retro-retailer out there keeping a low profile on Google?

Stuartli 16:27 03 Jan 2008

My Socket A motherboard (an MSI KT6V) is used with the last of the XP Athlons (3200+) and DDR400 memory.

All were new in 2004, so you should be able to find a suitable case and mobo without much difficulty at quite low cost.

Try Gary Lindop, the owner of:

click here

who has been a handy contact in recent years for such items.

I originally found his outlet on e-Bay.

Stuartli 16:30 03 Jan 2008

Here's his current Socket A (462) mobos; could well have others available:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?