Serial ATA hard drives

AdeJ 17:07 03 Jan 2003
  AdeJ 17:07 03 Jan 2003

Tried posting this in the helproom but didn't get a response - can anyone in here shed some light?

What's the latest on SATA drives and their availability - Seagate say they are available as of Autumn last but Dabs seems to be the only one listing them and are warning "long lead times expected". I'm due for a drive change in the near future - worth the wait or not?

Many thanks

DieSse 17:25 03 Jan 2003

Personally I wouldn't wait, for a variety of reasons.

Early users usually have to apy more and get all the teething troubles.

You do need a different motherboard, or disk controller card.

Doubt if you wil notice any huge speed difference.

AdeJ 17:47 03 Jan 2003

Thanks for your feedback - I already have the mobo capability and the prices quoted so far are only about 12% more than an ata100 - it's whether it will happen anytime soon and whether the alleged 40% speed increase is hype or not..

chorlton 19:06 03 Jan 2003

Toms hardware guide is a good source of info. they did a bit about serial ata but it was for a laptop drive, still interesting though.

click here

DieSse 20:04 03 Jan 2003

"Speed" on an HDD is a multifaceted thing. Whilst the transfer rate of a serial drive may well be higher in theory - factors like seek time and latency (which are governed by the mechanics, and are in the millisecond range) can be more important than data transfer rate.

It's a fact that modern drives cannot transfer data at a sustained rate anywhere near as fast as an IDE interface - so why would an even faster serial interface have a huge impact.

If the drives have a larger on-drive cache, then that would help - but it would also help IDE drives.

And to cap it all, it's only one part of system performance - and may or not be the limiting part in any one operating scenario.

Hence - whilst no doubt it will be a bit faster, and no doubt it will become the standard in time - I personally wouldn't buy one now, or look forward to any huge leap in performance if I did.

jimv7 08:16 04 Jan 2003

Scsi, the newer drives sustained transfer rate of 320mb per sec.

siarad 10:01 04 Jan 2003

If HD speed really mattered then windows would load almost instantly & programs run like lightning. It seems to me it's the poor software that slows us all down. Months ago I posted that Maxstore had the first serial drives but I've never seen any. Let others sort out the problems, being first is never a good thing.

AdeJ 10:21 04 Jan 2003

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll wait out the SATA movement for now - I'll probably upset you all now by going for an IBM 120GXP but despite their past reputation I've always found IBMs Deskstar range noticeably faster..!

Edezine 17:22 11 Jan 2003

If you want speed, your best option with using IDE drives is a Raid 0 setup, for this you will need 2 or more (ideally) identical drives and a Raid capable motherboard or controller card, this option may be more expensive but definitely worth it.

rustyninja 16:21 12 Jan 2003

They have the drives on the site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?