Sending Sky TV to other rooms?

EFC1878 21:29 30 Apr 2009

I have sky tv which is provided to the main tv in the house downstairs. Is it possible to transit to other rooms in the house without additional wires and sky accounts i.e. I have heard that you can wireless transmit sky to another room via a usb type dongle and receiver.

Is there such a device or am I imaginng it?

MAT ALAN 21:46 30 Apr 2009
  birdface 21:51 30 Apr 2009

Seen one in asda's the other day.but you will only be able to see what channel you are watching on your main TV.Now not sure if it said sky but i would imagine it would work with any system.I think it was around £27.00 but may have been cheaper.Worth a look if you have an asda's near you.I always find asda's a bit expensive for things like that so maybe shop around and see if you can get one cheaper.

BRYNIT 22:00 30 Apr 2009
  LinH 23:41 30 Apr 2009

EFC1878

There are two ways you can do this.

One way is to buy a 'Magic Eye' which sits on top of your tv and transmits the handset/remote signal via the aerial.

The second way is to buy a set of video senders. These work but are subject to interference i.e. walk in front of them and the sigal is lost.

LinH

LinH 23:44 30 Apr 2009

Question - why do you always spot a typo after you have posted?

For sigal read signal.

LinH

961 08:44 01 May 2009

See click here for equipment and advice on how to send sky (and signals from your tv aerial) round the house using the rf2 outlet on your sky box

Be aware that wireless transmission is liable to poor quality over anything other than short distance especially if the property has stonework or other dense material construction or metal mesh within the walls

EFC1878 08:57 01 May 2009

Thanks for the tips - I can see a trip to maplins looming.

Am I right in thinking that these devices send the signal to another room but with a limitation that you need to watch the same channel as on the main tv i.e. there is no independent channel choice?

Curofone - could you re-send the link to the argos item please as the link did not open.

Thanks

ps. LinH - I have to admit to not spotting the typo until you pointed it out! [I am now carefully checking my appalling typing....]

961 10:12 01 May 2009

Yes, you must watch the same sky channel in all rooms

However, if you send the tv aerial signal as well you can provide the ability to watch the terrestrial channels as well on each set, in those parts of the country where you would normally need an additional aerial for each set

This extends to providing a freeview signal for each set that has a freeview tuner built in

Kevscar1 06:47 02 May 2009

Multiroom is only an extra £10 per month.

EFC1878 11:37 02 May 2009

How does multiroom work? Do you pay per rom or can you supply mulitple rooms for £10? How is it set up - I assume ther eis only one dish and somehow the signal is transmitted to each room

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?