Semi glossy paper

VNAM75 16:45 01 Aug 2009

I need some cheap semi glossy paper to produce some leaflets. It needs to be about a quarter a4 size and thinner than normal paper. Quality doesn't have to be like magazine/brochure. Something like what the wickes booklets are printed on, thanks.

BT 17:06 01 Aug 2009

So you want about A6 size. I think you might have trouble finding paper much thinner than 70 or 80 gram that your printer will handle. Most printers are designed around this as the minimum weight, and anything thinner will probably cause paper jams.

spuds 18:20 01 Aug 2009

You could try Viking Direct or Office World.

VNAM75 19:35 01 Aug 2009

OK, thanks I'll have a look at those 2. I'm not really too fussy about the paper thickness.

Taff™ 22:37 01 Aug 2009

The only reason companies go for thinner paper is to save money because mass mailings end up in the bin! How do you intend to print your leaflets and how many do you intend to print? Unless you`re using a laser printer you would be better off getting them done commercially and even if you can obtain A6 "cut" paper it will probably be uneconomical.

VNAM75 23:30 01 Aug 2009

I only intend to do 50 at first then may be another 50 using my old colour printer, so I guess it would be cheaper to print on standard A4 and have it cut into 4 with one of those slicer(?) machines.

BT 07:36 02 Aug 2009

Good selection of paper here

click here

I've used them several times and their papers are excellent quality and sensible prices.

slicer(?) machines - Guillotine

VNAM75 22:06 02 Aug 2009

Thanks for the link, and Guillotine was what I meant.

Taff™ 06:43 03 Aug 2009

Handy link but the prices are very expensive and photo paper isn`t necessarily what you need to use. Tell me a little more about the leaflets you want to produce - what are they advertising, who is the intended audience and how you will distribute them. Drop me a PM using the envelope if you wish.

Producing this number of leaflets needs a little imagination and experimentation. For example you might be better off buying some pastel coloured A4 coloured stock and printing in monochrome on at least 80 gsm (Standard Copier Weight.) A4 White stock varies in quality and can look very good on the more expensive paper but lousy if printed on some of the cheaper recycled stock. Move up to a 100 gsm white paper and you can tell by the feel of the paper that it`s better quality - I`d always use this weight for CV`s for example.

Also consider 160 gsm card available in a variety of colours. This weight can easily be folded to make small booklets at A5 or A6 size and can look quite professional for small runs like yours. Check also what the maximum weight your printer can handle. Most printers can manage up to 230 gsm but in my experience some struggle to pull it through from the paper feed trays.

The best place to see all these options is at an office supply shop like Staples or a craft/hobby shop. Often they sell a mixture of colours in a single pack which is handy to experiment with.

As for the guillotine / slicer I find the cheap ones around today are very hit and miss. Get a cheap steel rule or other metal straight edge. Use a sharp "Stanley" knife and one of the special A4 cutting boards that are designed to reform after use and simply cut about 4/5 at a time using guide marks on the top copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?