Security and CCTV

xquest 19:31 21 Nov 2006

I'm not sure where to post this so I hope this forum is the correct place. I am suffering from airgun pellets breaking the outer panes of the lounge double glazing - two windows so far and of course it may never happen again. But I wonder if anyone has installed a security light and associated camera to record passersby on a computer, purpose-made unit or VCR tape loop ? The police say they have no objection (far from it, in fact they seemed quite enthusiastic) and there seems to be an enormous amount of equipment for sale. Any advice ?

Totally-braindead 19:45 21 Nov 2006

Have you read last months magazine December edition Page 148 setting up a security camera?

spuds 23:31 21 Nov 2006

PC World have recently introduced webcam kit's for this type of domestic security. Might pay to have a look there. The local police crime prevention officer, may also have various literature available.

The point to remember, is the fact that someone with an air rifle would most likely be out of range to a domestic 'unmanned' type of camera and lighting system. The same point would apply to people within range, with a low budget poor imaging camera system. Look on eBay, there are some good low light units available, if you want to purchase direct from Hong Kong.

Regarding the police having no objection, the local council might. Check with them before you go ahead and install anything outside your property. The same rule may apply to neighbours feelings.

xquest 00:15 22 Nov 2006

Many thanks for all the advice. The camera would be concealed on the house - perhaps behind a soffit and would pick up the front garden and pavement. I understand there would be no problem provided the camera didn't pick up a neighbours property. My neighbour already has such a system on his caravan parked alongside his house.
I have found a useful guide at click here
(my earlier reply seems to have gone missing)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?