Secure Digital cards

VNAM75 20:22 13 Apr 2006

Can Secure Digital cards be used in Sat Nav devices as well as digital cameras? I'm looking at this one but dont know if it will work in my TomTom one.

click here

SG Atlantis® 20:28 13 Apr 2006

If any device is designed to take sd cards any sd card will do it.

That looks incredibly cheap.

Totally-braindead 20:29 13 Apr 2006

You can get cheaper cards click here= regarding the card in your Sat Nav, if your Sat Nav has a slot for an SD card then it will work with one, if it doesn't it won't.

Does your Sat Nav have an SD card slot?

Totally-braindead 20:30 13 Apr 2006

Regarding the cheaper cards bit, I've just noticed theres no postage on this item so for a branded card its very cheap.

VNAM75 20:41 13 Apr 2006

Yes, my sat nav uses a 128mb SD card. How is it some 1GB cards can cost up to £200 but the one above is only £20?

VNAM75 20:44 13 Apr 2006

My cousin bought one for her digital camera and it was delivered quite quickly

SG Atlantis® 20:49 13 Apr 2006

Dunno.

Belatucadrus 23:30 13 Apr 2006

Any 1GB SD card that costs £200 probably has a new satnav map database on it, no way should a blank one cost over £30 and the prices are dropping so £20 or under is no longer unusual.

Stuartli 23:48 13 Apr 2006

1GB SD cards are down to around £15 to £17.

Don't forget that many devices that use Secure Digital cards will also accept MMC (MultiMedia Cards), but you will have to check with the device manual first.

However, whereas MMC card used to be quite a bit chaper than SD, the difference now is minimal for a product that lacks the benefits and, in many cases, the speed.

Totally-braindead 09:26 14 Apr 2006

I don't know where you got the idea that a 1 gig SD card cost £200, as Belatucadrus says if its that price there must be something on it as cards are not the expensive. In fact when the 1 gig cards first appeared they weren't that expensive and they are cheaper now.

You say your satnav has an SD slot, I suggest you check out the manual for it and the website (I presume they have one) because its possible it won't take a card as large as that. Some devices have a limit and can only read a certain size of card. Better to be sure before purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?