Seagate versus Western Digital

liberatortoo 19:54 20 Jan 2010

I want a portable USB hard drive. It will be used very heavily in the portable mode, travelling with me on commute and overseas.

I was going to go for the Seagate FreeAgent Go 320gb, but have read numerous reviews about it failing within a year.

I've now switched my attention to the Western Digital My Passport Essential 320gb. This has excellent reviews but isn't as old as the Seagate so hard to tell about reliability.

Has anyone got experience of these drives or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

ton 20:01 20 Jan 2010

You will hear good and bad about both.

They are both good makes, whatever anyone writes, you just need to decide for yourself.

I am Spartacus 20:03 20 Jan 2010

Freecom Mobile click here

Mine's been carried around for around 10 months now and no problems. It's also really small and light too.

AL47 21:21 20 Jan 2010

the only 2 hard drive manufacturers i buy from are seagate and WD, either are good, look at the warranty, cause any hard drive can fail

wee eddie 23:10 20 Jan 2010

where such a drive would prove very attractive to the Airport Officials.

If you were travelling to such parts, I would advise that you use the oldest, most beaten up Drive that you can get hold of, even if you only used as a Back-up for the New Flashy one, and never showed it to a soul.

Snec 12:15 21 Jan 2010

I have both and there is nothing to choose between them except looks. One is much nicer looking than the other, don't you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?