Seagate 500GB External Hard Drive

Roy* 13:12 21 Feb 2008

Any views about this External HD. I was thinking of buying one but reading the negative feedback on Amazon I'm not sure?

e.g.
I bought the hard drive only 3 months ago. I had no problems setting up, although the US style plug and converter isn't exactly ideal. Then, the drive packed up on me 3 days ago, completely died, even after the electrics were checked as fine. I lost my entire music collection, all my work and uni files. I know I should have backed up, but then again, when you fork out £80, you don't expect to!! Never again will I be buying a shoddy product from a company with a lousy rep. Save your money!!

click here

Any knowledgeable opinions welcome?

wee eddie 13:39 21 Feb 2008

Folk unplug them before they have properly turned them off.

2 sides to every story...same site
eg
This is truely a great bit of kit. I was pondering how to easilly add some extra storage to my home PC. I was steered to the SEAGATE one (rather than Western Digital equivalent) by the top reviews from Which magazine
click here

Ive the one linked and havent had any issues at all.
As wee eddie,use safely remove hardware when disconnecting.

grumpygramp 14:30 21 Feb 2008

I am also happy with Seagate .I also learnt about shutting external items off properly when I lost alot of Data on a USB Pen Drive though disconecting without using the eject Icon on the taskbar

T0SH 14:32 21 Feb 2008

All hard drives will eventually fail the only unknown bit is when this will happen

Cheers HC

Roy* 15:29 21 Feb 2008

So seems like a good one to get just need to ensure you follow the stop process as with the memory sticks etc

Stuartli 15:43 21 Feb 2008

I have a Seagate One Touch USB 400GB external drive, which is used for regular backups.

I ensure that I ALWAYS use the Remove Hardware Safely feature, just as with memory card reader/writers and similar products.

Some people get away with not doing so, but it's not worth the risk...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?