Seaching for a good student laptop

chrisbrummett 23:53 17 Mar 2005

Ive search the site looking for someone with needs similar to mine. I couldnt find any so maybe yall can help me out. Ive been doing some research of my own and would like to see if I can get some 2nd opinions....

Im a student in pharmacy school and I need a laptop to take to class and take notes with. The battery life must be good. I would mainly use the laptop for word processing and internet access. One must is wireless access ability. A nice secondary feature would be a DVD burner (either going to get this on the laptop or just upgrade my desktop). I want to save money buy getting a lower end system becuase I want to make sure I cant play video games on there and distract myself, haha.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Chris Brummett

laura e 02:05 18 Mar 2005

I bought an apple ibook in my second year, and i love it! they come preloaded with all the accessories and programmes such as itunes, iphoto, i movie, apple works, icalendar, internet explorer etc, mine is a g3 but i know that now they are g4s and with much higher memory! mine didnt come with wireless internet access but i think the new ones have a pre built in airport card for this. and also a cd-rom.dvd drive but i dont know about a dvd burner.

I used mine mainly for word processing, internet access and my work, i was an art student so it suited me just fine! the cheapest ibooks now start from about 699 inc.vat but if you have a university e-mail address or contact i think u can claim students rates and get them cheaper.

only bad thing is, sometimes it can be a little bit tricky when switching files with a pc, but they are generally compatible now!

and another thing about apples is they r so aesthetically pleasing!! but thats NOT the reason to buy one of course! they are also easy to carry around as well because of their size and weight!

it might not be suitable to you but they are quite nice little computers! check out the apple website click here and see what you think, im sure other people will make more good suggestions as well!!

Hope you get what your looking for!! :)

Laura

Stuartli 10:00 18 Mar 2005

You could try online suppliers such as click here which stocks a range of new, second user and refurbished laptops from the top brand names at reasonable prices.

In addition, you can get accessories, spare parts or have repairs done.

I know this particular outlet to be excellent from personal family experience, but a Google search will bring in dozens of suppliers - just ensure that any pre-used laptops live up to the claims.

Stuartli 10:04 18 Mar 2005

There's also:

click here

Maverick81 14:49 18 Mar 2005

Cheap laptops are getting easy to come by check the following sites

click here
click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?