SD/MMC......Which one?

tanzanitre 12:09 15 Dec 2003

Can someone tell me what the difference is between SD AND MMC Cards,and which is the better of the two? Its for a dv camcorder i just bought which came with an mmc card! Also wheres the best place to buy them from! Thanks!

Diodorus Siculus 13:05 15 Dec 2003

SD is a newer technology - so it is likely to be faster / more stable. That at least is the reason I was given when asking which to buy for my digicam.

I have bought them from sevendayshop, novatech and expansys click here

Stuartli 13:57 15 Dec 2003

Postage stamp size Secure Digital and MultiMedia cards are, in the vast majority of cases, fully compatible.

Secure Digital is slightly faster than MMC and, therefore, usually costs a little more.

I use both types for my Minolta Dimage E203 digital camera and don't notice much difference in practice.

Here's a link to a comparison chart for SD versus other memory cards, including MMC:

click here

Stuartli 14:03 15 Dec 2003

Further to above, do be sure to ascertain whether your dv camcorder is actually compatible with both memory types; as I said it's true "in the majority of cases", but it's not gospel.

tanzanitre 15:00 15 Dec 2003

Yip it will accept either,so can u use both types together?

Diodorus Siculus 16:38 15 Dec 2003

tanzanitre - you cannot use both types together unless your camera has two slots - not many do. Mine has a slot for a sony memory stick and a sd/mmc card and both the memory stick and one of the sd/mmc can be used.

tanzanitre 16:58 15 Dec 2003

Thanks for letting me no that,also to upgrade the memory would i need to use one card with 256mb rather than several cards totaling up to 256mb.What im trying to say is can only 1 card be placed or can you use several of the same sort?

Diodorus Siculus 17:15 15 Dec 2003

Yes, you can use as many as you want - take out one and put in another when ready. Better I think to have 2 x 128Mb rather than 1x256 - that way if one is damaged, the other is ok.

Stuartli 17:35 15 Dec 2003

My Minolta only has one slot so I've not much option..:-)

I have an 8MB SD card which came with the camera and bought a 32MB MMC at the same time - I get more than 100 pix at medium resolution (32MB) and, if I do ever require prints, the setting provides excellent standard size prints such as 7x5 or 6x4.

tanzanitre 21:22 15 Dec 2003

Yeah il get two 128mb just incase!Are they easy damaged?

Diodorus Siculus 21:46 15 Dec 2003

tanzanitre - no, not easily damaged from what I can see. I don't take special care of mine and they never have any problems - just avoid scratching them I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?