SD memory card bargain!

Flak999 15:35 24 Apr 2007

Just thought I would pass this on. I went out to buy a 512mb SDcard today, I needed it urgently so did not trawl the net for a bargain. I looked in Maplins and they wanted £23 for a 512mb card!

Far to expensive I thought, so whilst making my way along the high street I went into WH Smiths and bought a "Verbatim" 512mb SDcard for £7.99!

How can there be such a vast price difference from two shops within 50 yards of each other, one of them a dedicated computer accessory shop and they other a general stationers? They were also selling 1Gb cards for £14.99.

Just shows it pays to shop around!

iscanut 15:52 24 Apr 2007

Even cheaper on Amazon if you care to wait for delivery

click here

Flak999 16:08 24 Apr 2007

Yes I knew I could get one very cheaply on the net, but as I explained I needed it today!

What surprised me was the very expensive price from Maplins and the very reasonable price from Smiths.

Stuartli 16:16 24 Apr 2007

Probably due to different makes and, possibly, different speeds - the expensive cards are much faster although most people won't notice the difference.

jimmybond 18:29 24 Apr 2007

pffph. If you think the difference of £23/£8 is big, try looking at Jessop's SD card prices, then compare with Amazon ;-)

philboam 18:42 24 Apr 2007

Morrisons supermarkets are selling sd and cf cards for £9.99 for 1gig.They are also selling 2gig usb pen drives for £14.99.

goffer23 19:35 24 Apr 2007

Make sure you're getting like for like.
There is likely to be a difference in the speed of some of these which can affect the transferring and speed of taking multiple consecutive shots

tamc98 09:45 25 Apr 2007

Staples are doing a 1Gb card for £9.99.
If you want a high capacity card then mymemory.co.uk are doing a 4Gb card for £17.99 +pp.

Arnie 10:46 25 Apr 2007

Nobody has mentioned guarantees on these cards.
My local high street store charges £14.99 (Inc VAT) for a Kingston 2GB SD card.
They come with a 5year guarantee.

They have the following specification.

Compliant with the Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) portable device requirements
-Postage stamp-sized (24mm X 32mm X 2.1mm)
-Write-protect switch prevents inadvertent overwriting of image or audio data
-Fast data transfer rate: 2MB/s average
-Plug and Play
-Low Power Consumption

For the whole range: click here

six-h 15:37 25 Apr 2007

I have a 1GB Kingston card, from PicStop. I seem to recall that it has a lifetime guarantee provided by Kingston!
Sadly however, I find my mp3 player and also my camera are only able to see 512mb. Case of read the manuals before making purchase!
I'm going to try creating two folders on the one card and see if each device can then see its own designated folder and use it upto its 512mb capacity.I feel the logic works!
Anyone tried already??

bluto1 22:05 25 Apr 2007

I had a maildrop last week from Serif with an offer for a 1GB SD card for £9.95 post paid. Now that`s a great offer.
Yes, I`ve taken up the offer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?