Scanners

Les 17:03 24 Mar 2007

I'm thinking of buying a new scanner. I would like it to be capable of scanning photo slides I took years ago (too many!).

Has anyone got first hand experience of such scanners - I like the looks of the HP 4480 but have heard 'horror' stories of their reliability. But are these stories just an account of the odd one or two that have proved faulty I wonder?

If you use an HP scanner - are you satisfied with it?

Answers, as always, appreciated.

Stuartli 17:37 24 Mar 2007

Canon and Epson both produce first class scanners and many feature means of handling photo slides.

Les 17:47 24 Mar 2007

Thanks - The Epson Perfection looks as though it could fill the bill, but, unusually for me, I'll hang on a bit before I buy!

rick808 18:07 24 Mar 2007

Having used epson scanners at work for years I can def recommend the Perfection 4490.

Diemmess 18:35 24 Mar 2007

Scanners have improved dramatically value/money in the last 5 years.

Now < 1/4 the price for equivalent product and added value.

Have had a Relysis (grayscale only)long ago £500+
Epson SCSI colour flatbed no frills/thrills £220
Now Epson Perfection V100 excellent allrounder £70
This one makes 1st class scans of 35mm slides (4 at a time or strips of film/negatives 6 at a time.

Les 18:38 24 Mar 2007

Thanks for your replies, very encouraging.

I thinks that I shall finish up with an Epson.

Thanks again

Les 20:24 27 Mar 2007

My thanks to you for your advice re the Epson v100 scanner. I ordered one from Dabs on Sunday evening, it was delivered on Tuesday afternoon - that is service! The only other service of that kind I have received previously is when I buy a Laser Toner from Cartridgepeople of Winsford for my Brother H1230.

I have scanned a few 35mm slides taken some 25 years ago - they have scanned far better than I expected and, of course, I'm very pleased that your advice proved to be first class. Thanks again 8-)

Diemmess 21:06 27 Mar 2007

'Pleased you like it (:))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?