Scanner with OCR software

Mike_R 14:25 16 Feb 2007

At the moment I have a seven year old Evesham desktop with an equally old Agfa Snapscan Touch scanner. I am thinking of getting another Evesham desktop with Vista and a new scanner which will handle my old 35mm slides. The Epson V700/750 looks the bees knees but I am wondering whether it has any OCR software with it which will read spreadsheet formats. If not, can anyone recommend suitable software. My present scanner has Caere software which writes into Lotus 2000 format (shows how old it is).
Having kitted out the grandchildren, it's my turn!

jack 19:39 16 Feb 2007

Most scanners come with a bundle of software both image editor and OCR
It may not be the latest or very comprehensive- just a 'get you started gesture'
But it may well serve.
So get the scanner and see what turns up OCR wise then start looking for suitable package if indeed you need to. there maybe some excellent Free/Share ware out there
By the bye Epson scanners are OK

Mike_R 19:53 16 Feb 2007

Thanks. Will do.

Markus 20:17 16 Feb 2007

I have used Vissioner scanners for years and found them to be excellent even when scanning negatives and slides.
The scanner that I use now came with Omnipage and Scansoft software. I have upgraded the sofware as new versions have become available but the supplied software worked adequately for most jobe. Customer service is also vey good if you do have a problem.

€dstowe 22:19 16 Feb 2007

If your Snapscan still works, don't chuck it out.

I rediscovered an old one of mine the other day, found some XP drivers on the 'net and got it going again. It still works and works well. I'm going to keep it in working order at home - you never know when it could be useful.

€dstowe 07:41 17 Feb 2007

The Epson V700 is intended for film/photo scanning and possibly won't even scan an A4 sheet

(24 frames of 35 mm film
12 frames of 35 mm slides
Two 6 x 20cm (max) frames of medium (120/220) format film
Two frames of 4 x 5" large format film).

I would think that if you want to scan papers then another model is required - or update your Snapscan!

Mike_R 11:34 17 Feb 2007

The Epson WEB page says that the V700 flatbed scanner will take A4 sheets. I will try the Snapscan with Vista. We shall see.

pj123 13:41 17 Feb 2007

The V700/750 has Abbey FineReader 6 OCR software.

I have an Epson 3170 click here
which is a flatbed scanner and also scans film and slides. Has Abbey FineReader 5 included, although I have never used the OCR function.

Most OCRs work fairly well but you do have to "teach" them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?