Scanner and film scanner..

Stuartli 09:34 06 Jun 2004

..that's a tad different.

There are regular queries regarding the best way to scan 35mm slides and negatives in the forums and, normally, the advice is to use a dedicated film scanner for top resolution and quality.

A good one is not cheap and will cost from around £130 upwards, but this link may provide a rather unusual variation using a flat/vertical scanner from HP, the Scanjet 4670 SEE THRU (£155 including VAT and with a cash back offer as well!)

Negatives can be scanned at 2,400dpi which is more than sufficient for good sized prints from negatives or transparencies.

Details here and you can also watch the video to get an idea of how it operates:

click here

Newuser38 11:43 06 Jun 2004

I recently picked up a Canon3200F at £58 from Jessops ( they also have them at Argos at that price) I needed a new cheap scanner, my current one only works with Win98 and its a pain having to use the dual boot machine all the time. I only do a small no of neg scans and usually pay Jessops or whatever to do them. But I find that this machine will do them to my satisfaction colour and black and white, even old family negs. For ordinary use it seems very fast and efficient, I guess the usb makes it faster than the old one which is an EasyConnect 9600. I thought the negscan on the Canon might be not good but it seems ok. I see that PCW also have the Canon 500 on offer at present via vouchers. PCW are still charging full price for the 3200F.

Newuser38 11:45 06 Jun 2004

Sorry should have been 5000 not 500 for the comment on the PCW voucher offer.

Stuartli 14:05 06 Jun 2004

The dabs website appears to be undergoing updating or maintenance at the moment.

I appreciate that the Canon flatbed scanners are excellent products, but did you actually watch the video or read exactly what the HP 4670 can do?

We are not (quite) comparing like with like here...:-)

Charence 19:22 06 Jun 2004

PC Advisor says something about the HP scanner enabling you to see what is being scanned. How does this work? Does the scanner scan inwards and document placed with scanning side against top?

Charence

Stuartli 09:48 07 Jun 2004

If you look at the scanner and the short video via the link you will be able to see how it works.

Stuartli 09:49 07 Jun 2004

It's a streamed video and I watched it quite satisfactorily using dialup.

This gem was spotted at the top right of the link Stuartli gave

This product is eligable for cash back from the 15th May

Never trust a company that can't spell :)

Stuartli 14:17 07 Jun 2004

Using that logic you wouldn't trust a lot of the advice that's posted in these forums.....

Yes I would! The serious point I am trying to make is that a web site is the shop window for a company, and if it is badly laid out,full of errors and spelling mistakes, rightly or wrongly,this reflects on how well the company trades and treats its customer.
Every one makes mistakes in spelling and grammar, but a company that purports to be a professional organisation must get it right or loose business from the pedantic among us.

Stuartli 16:52 07 Jun 2004

Every spelling mistake is the work of an individual rather than a company.

I've been a journalist for many years and generally my spelling (from memory) is pretty accurante.

But even newspapers, magazines etc employ sub-editors not only to lay out pages but also correct and polish up journalists' copy.

One of the problems of subbing your own copy (as I'm sure the FE will agree) is that, if you make a spelling mistake, your brain doesn't always allow you to spot it when reading it back.

Yet if that same mistake has been made by someone else you spot it immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?