SCANNER

strokebow 14:00 31 Jul 2008

Anyone know where I can get a scanner with the following...

Flatbed
>= 48 bit pixel depth
>= 2400 x 4800 dpi (optical resolution)
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)

Thanks in advance

interzone55 14:53 31 Jul 2008

click here

I have the previous model and it's very good.

The web page doesn't say which OCR software is included, but mine came with ABBYY Finereader Sprint, which is a cut down version of ABBYY Finereader, and I've found it to be very accurate when reading books & magazines...

Esc4p3 16:42 31 Jul 2008

I haven't got one, but I saw this in Tesco the other day click here it gets pretty good reviews and is quite cheap at £40

Esc4p3 16:43 31 Jul 2008

Oh shoot, its only 1200x2400 sorry :-(

jakimo 10:09 01 Aug 2008

You might find this an interesting review

Quiet Life 13:26 01 Aug 2008

Epson Perfection V200 Photo Scanner, As recommended by alan14. The OCR program is ABBYY Finereader sprint. I have only had this model 2 weeks but I am very impressed with the quality of photo and transparency scans. It is dear but if you want to scan photos negatives or transparencies it is worth it.

strokebow 16:02 22 Aug 2008

hi thanks for your replies and suggestions.

The scanner must:

Flatbed
>= 48 bit pixel depth
>= 2400 x 4800 dpi (optical resolution)
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software inc.
Will be used for both document and picture scanning(not professional pictures/photo standard)

I would like it so that I can scan multiple pages and they will all save in the same pdf document. Is this possible?

Thanks so much

Keep hitting me with your suggestions!!

Quiet Life 17:15 22 Aug 2008

The V200 will do what you want.
"You can scan multiple document pages, photos, film images, or slides and save them as one PDF file on your computer using the scanner’s Scan to PDF button."

interzone55 22:35 22 Aug 2008

By multiple pages, do you mean one with an automatic document feeder (ADF), like a fax machine?

There's not many scanners with ADF that have such high resolution scanning, because they're normally intended for scanning high volumes, so speed is more important that out-right quality, and besides, 600dpi is more than enough for scanning most things, anything higher and you get huge files full of the imperfections in the original document.

Nothing in Epson's document scanning range goes as high as 4800dpi, but the HP Scanjet 8270 does
click here

It comes with Read IRIS Pro OCR software, which I found to be excellent last time I used it. You will need to find your own PDF creation software though, as Adobe Acrobat isn't included. I like the free PrimoPDF click here

strokebow 15:03 10 Sep 2008

Thanks for your replies.

It does NOT need to have ADF. Although that would be good.

Does however need to be compatibile with vista (64).

And also include:
hi thanks for your replies and suggestions.

The scanner must:

Flatbed
* >= 48 bit pixel depth
* >= 2400 x 4800 dpi (optical resolution)
* Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software inc.
* Save multiple scans into same pdf

Scanner will be used for both document and picture scanning(NOT strictly professional pictures/photo standard)

Thanks for looking

Alternatively, any good bargains at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?