Save Money - get a faster connection!

Sir Radfordin 17:41 16 Feb 2006

Have just rung Pipex (been a customer since Sept 2004) to ask for a MAC code to see what response they gave.

I was paying £23.99 for a 1mb line (previously been upgraded FOC from 0.5mb) and they asked why I was requesting a MAC code so I said I wanted to save money.

In response they offered me an upgrade to a 2mb line for a cost of £17.99.

Ironically I suggested I was looking to switch to Tiscali, who the last time I checked didn't support migration.

All done in 5 minutes and has saved me the equivilant of 3 months access at the old price.

So, if you've been a customer for a while and want a better deal try giving them a call. If you aren't offered anything then you don't need to use the MAC code you get.

961 19:04 16 Feb 2006

Good to hear from you. Have you made the first million yet?

As a matter of interest, how far are you from your exchange?

Sir Radfordin 20:32 16 Feb 2006

No millions...yet!

Not sure how far I am from the exchange but I do know that the line has had a fault on it since Aug 2004 which BT needed to come in the building to get fixed...and I've never been here. Having said that, it was more a voice problem - strange interferance.

Working on the basis that I live in the town (Cheltenham) centre I'm guessing the exchange isn't far away - then again nor is GCHQ!

CurlyWhirly 23:00 16 Feb 2006

"Not sure how far I am from the exchange"

Enter your telephone number and postcode into click here

It only tells you the straight line distance which means that your actual telephone line will probably be longer but it at least gives you an idea.

CurlyWhirly 23:02 16 Feb 2006

p.s. I forgot to say that on the next page that loads select the Locality option!

Sir Radfordin 23:21 16 Feb 2006

Apparaently it is a massive 698 metres !!

ray7 11:40 17 Feb 2006

I too am looking to change ISP and am interested in PIPEX. I can't understand the pricing as your figures differ from that on the Pipex website.

Am I missing something

click here

ray7 13:06 17 Feb 2006

Soprry.....wrong linkclick here

phoenix198 16:52 17 Feb 2006

But what is the significance of requesting a MAC code?

Alan2 17:34 17 Feb 2006
  Sir Radfordin 17:38 17 Feb 2006

I expect this was a 'special' deal to keep existing customers. I would still choose PIPEX as a new customer however - the price isn't significantly more than anyone else and it is generally excellent service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?