SATA / IDE configuration

kevvyb 00:53 24 Feb 2009

Hi,

Just sounding out the situation here. Just bought a new intel i7 based PC (and also downgraded to WinXP Home) and am not sure if the SATA hard drives have been configured in IDE mode.

In meantime though, my question is about the acceptability/reasonableness of selling SATA hard drives with a top spec machine and then configuring them in IDE mode without making it clear that this is how the machine would be configured.

Does anyone have thoughts or views on this?

Just need a bit of guidance before I were to tackle the vendor, if indeed I need too. Still trying to figure it out the configuration so if anyone can help me with that too would very much appreciate it.

I am Spartacus 09:26 24 Feb 2009

I could detect no performance difference when my SATA drives were set to AHCI or IDE emulation. In fact my Vista score went up with IDE mode. I also tested with HD Tune which showed less than a 2% increase in performance with AHCI.

I had to set a 20 second delay for my SATA DVD to be recognised when in AHCI mode.

With XP you would have the problem of loading the SATA drivers if you had to do a reinstallation which can be a pain especially as you either have to use a floppy drive or slipstream XP to include the SATA driver.

Bazz2000 00:12 25 Feb 2009

I think you will find that whoever sold you the machine, did not want you to even look inside the case. They want you to take it back to them so they can charge you for anything you need doing. As far as the responsibiloties is concerned, as long as they didnt specify how it was configured, then as far as they are concerned they are doing nothing wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires