Sat Nav

charlton200 20:02 07 Nov 2008

I am totally new to Sat nav's.
I have now decided to get one, my requirements are UK only and the larger screen; I think it is 4.3; and the mobile type not the fixed; and not over £150.
I would like any advice on what make; what model. This would be very helpful.

Just out of interest how much do the updates cost. I know they could vary, so just roughly would do.

Many thanks.

rdave13 21:15 07 Nov 2008

I use TomTom one v3 (small screen). Eyesight not 100% but good image to read info; just like looking at rear view mirror when you get used to it.
Updated maps after two years for an 'offer' price of £35. Get 12 months 'Map Share' corrections afterwards. Search TomTom's site. Recommended.

ray7 21:38 07 Nov 2008

Agree with rdave but go for the One XL. Larger screen. £115 at Amazon

charlton200 07:40 08 Nov 2008

Thank you I will have a look now.

anchor 17:06 08 Nov 2008

I agree that the TomTom XL regional would be ideal for you. It is generally agreed that TomTom are probably the best.

click here

Get the new version 2 from Amazon. £129 including delivery.

click here

As regards maps; TomTom offer a free map upgrade in the first 30 days of use. Wait until the 3rd week before accessing the map upgrade feature of TomTom Home, (their web updating service).

Personally, I would not bother getting later maps, (unless you keep it for a long time).

Mapshare is available for a year, which is useful. You also get a basic set of traffic cameras with it, but updates cost extra.

charlton200 18:05 08 Nov 2008

Thanks for the info,

What is ment by mapshare?

Dizzy Bob 18:37 08 Nov 2008

I believe that TomTom are justr about to launch a new range for xmas.

You may want to wait a week or so if that is practical to see if the price drops on the older models. (or if the new models suit better)

hth

DB

rdave13 18:41 08 Nov 2008

Map share, click here

Cymro. 10:34 09 Nov 2008

Don`t make the same mistake that I did when I tried to make the first free update, the one you get when you first buy a TomTom. The offer of a free update only lasts for thirty days after purchase.

I was well over the thirty days so my update number that you get with the TomTom was out of date. I had to get on the TomTom helpline to get a new number.

The TomTom helpline were very good about it and Emailed me a new update number free of charge, but it is a hassle you can do without so remember to use the free update within the first thirty days.

anchor 15:21 11 Nov 2008

Yes, TomTom are about/or just have introduced new models; the 740 Live and 940 Live.

"Live" is an expensive system that collects traffic data from a mobile phone network, and would cost an extra 120€/year, (about £100).

I don`t think these would be of any interest to you as they are the very expensive end of the market; between £300 & £400. I think it most unlikely that these models will have any effect on the lower end of the market.

charlton200 16:00 11 Nov 2008

If I buy a tom tom or a garmin, one question I would like to know,with both system if Possible.

I go to a lot of places out the way in the countryside.
I can see the places on a normal map but they are perhaps 5 miles from the nearest village.
So, if I don't know the postcode or the address/road how do I get the sat nav to get me there?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?