Sat Nav

alan2273 19:56 15 Aug 2007

I am going to buy a SatNav and would appreciate some advice on the best one for the money.
I only intend to use it in the UK.
There are that many on the market, I just do noy know which one to choose.

Head hurts 20:18 15 Aug 2007

have tried several and best one without a doubt is tomtom i use the 700 with maps of europe and travel there 2 - 3 times a year it works really well. have not tried the latest models but feel sure they would be equally as good

sunny staines 20:21 15 Aug 2007

i too use tomtom 700. well impressed.

dukeboxhero 20:22 15 Aug 2007

as Head hurts says the tom tom 1 is easy to use ,iv had mine for a year now with no problems,i use mine daily for my job

Bingalau 20:46 15 Aug 2007

I got a TomTom One Europe about six months ago for about £180.00 Can't remember which site I got it from but it has been a Godsend in the U.K. I normally go to Germany two or three times a year, but so far this year haven't done so. But am looking forward to seeing how it performs over there. I also bought the speed camera thing and have found that a good addition because of the warning that you are approaching one. The standard male voice is ideal for me as it is clear and accent free. I've not tried the female voice.

superhoops 21:34 15 Aug 2007

I have got the Garmin Nuvi 660. Works really well but pricey ( £330 ish). Reason I didnt buy a TomTom was, due to the bulbous back of the units you can't put it easily in your pocket when leaving the car. My Garmin slips easy in a pocket.

polish 22:50 15 Aug 2007

i use tomtom 1 v2 find it very good also with speed camera warning you still need common sense when using any sat nav the v2 tomtom is not as bulky as the previous version

^wave^ 08:15 16 Aug 2007

tomtom 510 i have used it here and in europe came with the speed camera data base really good

laurie53 08:37 16 Aug 2007

TomTom is good, but can be a bit inflexible.

I use it as software, on a PDA, and I also use CoPilot. It depends a bit on the journey, and what I need.

spuds 11:43 16 Aug 2007

Depending on what you actually require, I find the Navman F20 a very good easy to use cheap product. This model is possibly now on the shortly to be discontinued list, as they are getting near to the £100.00 mark and more difficult to obtain from usual retail outlets.

Navman support is very good. Used them once, on a standard phone-call rate, and the female adviser was really top rate. She talked me through a couple of minor problems (more my fault, than the products)and she was very professional in providing instructions and understanding my concerns.

I did have a more expensive Tom Tom, but on replacement the Navman as covered my present requirements very well and above expectations.If additional items are required, they are readily and cheaply available via eBay.

I know a number of people who have purchased Medion sat nav's from places like Aldi, and they are very happy with the products. Our local Currys store have some of these on sale at about £70/£80 range, but the sales assistant didn't recommend them, due to returns and problems!.

Confab 12:22 16 Aug 2007

This site is useful if you want to but a TOmTom

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?