Samsung LCD a good replacement?

De Marcus™ 23:23 15 Sep 2006

I've currently got a 4 year old 42" (non HD) rebadged HP plasma in the living room hung on the wall, it was donated by a family member. Judging by picture quality in comparison to those I see in the likes of curry's etc it's lacking to say the least. So, in order to ready ourselves for the HD boom we've been looking at LCD models and came across this Samsung model - Samsung LE40R74BD 40" Bordeaux LCD TV from ebuyer click here which sems to be a very good buy price wise (Argos have it in stock for an extra £400 squid!) in terms of screen estate, spec and price.

I guess I'm after reassurance in that for the price point I'm looking at, there's nothing better out there?

Stuartli 00:09 16 Sep 2006

Samsung is one of the quality LCD/Plastma TV set manufacturers and you need have no fears.

The Toshiba models are also first class.

My best mate runs an independent audio/video/appliances outlet and Samsung is one of his key brands - he only stocks products that he knows are top notch.

De Marcus™ 00:16 16 Sep 2006

Thanks for the reply Stuartli, I've been researching in the meantime, preliminary results seem to indicate this is a good panel for the price (apart from sound quality, but that doesn't matter as it's to be connected to a surround sound system). Other than that I seem unable to glean any other info from the web, is this a new model? Has it been around a while? Is it 480i or 1080i (I'm sure it's 1080i but don't seem able to confirm that as samsung's site just won't load for me at the mo)

De Marcus™ 00:27 16 Sep 2006

Samsung site working fine for me now (it would do wouldn't it!) from the spec sheet it definitely seems a good buy, especially considering it's price, so I've ordered it from ebuyer, I'll let you know what it's like when it turns up next week.

Stuartli 10:09 16 Sep 2006

Spec given as:

Samsung LE40R74BDX 40" LCD Television
40" Screen - 16:9 Aspect Ratio - HDTV-Ready - Surround

Enjoy 40 inch true widescreen pictures on a product which is HD ready, featuring a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 coupled with HDMI connectivity for true replication of the HD signal. With a dynamic contrast ratio of 5000:1

De Marcus™ 14:26 28 Sep 2006

"I'll let you know what it's like when it turns up next week."

Eventually turned up today, abolutely fantastic picture quality when viewing HD, just like in the shops :-) Happy man.

Stuartli 14:41 28 Sep 2006

I'm very jealous...:-((

De Marcus™ 15:03 28 Sep 2006

Lol.

Actually I was a bit disappointed by Telewest and Samsung, neither the TV Drive or the TV came with an HDMI cable, I went looking for one and found some at maplins well in excess of £100 a pop in some cases - ridiculous. I tried another search and found one for £25 at Argos, bought it, installed it and then proceeded to ring Telewest about why they installed an HD PVR box with no means of getting an HD signal out of it, they apologised and are sending one out in the post. Apparently your supposed to ask for it when you order however there's no indication to suggest so. I'll take my argos cable back when the Telewest one arrives.

On another note, HD content on the TV Drive system is certainly not lacking, I'm especially interested in watching the BBC's Blue Planet in HD tonight accompanied by a bottle of chardonnay.

Stuartli 15:36 28 Sep 2006

Now I'm even more jealous..:-(((

steve1ooo 15:39 28 Sep 2006

DE Marcus what is the picture like with standard definition pictures ? I`ve read that some HD displays don`t handle " ordinary " tele. very well.

De Marcus™ 16:44 28 Sep 2006

It handles normal analogue TV ok, although there is a slight quality loss, and by quality loss I mean a slight pixelation between scene changes. Watching through the built in Digital tuner or via the TV drive (default) however, it's barely noticeable. I think I have the option somewhere in the manual to help combat any standard definition picture quality issues, I'm sure it was something along the lines of reducing resolution or picture size to suit but I'm not 100% on that.

All in all, the TV set itself has blown me away. Very happy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?