Sale of Goods Act "Durability"

fredj 17:29 31 Oct 2003

I understand the Sale of Goods Act has a section covering the durability of a product which provides consumers with some compensation for products, which fail prematurely after the initial warranty period has expired.

Can any one please clarify.

Djohn 17:32 31 Oct 2003

click here this is the site you need, hope it is of help. j.

spuds 18:55 31 Oct 2003

Some goods have an expected longer life than others, and would be more durable.Sales of Goods usually suggest a good well manufactured product should last 5/6 years at least before failure, ie TV's.

davidg_richmond 23:18 31 Oct 2003

Durability of goods depends on the amount of use, the condition of the goods (i.e. no apparent evidence of damage by the consumer), and the expected lifetime of a particular product.

There is sometimes a difference between the expected lifetime of a product (like the 5-6 years for a telly) and the length of time before a repair is reasonably expected. For instance, a TV may be expected to last 5-8 years (before natural replacement/supercedence or by the uneconomical cost of repair), but the set may be expected to need minor repairs after 3 or 4 years depending on use.

With computers, from my own experience I would think that PSUs would only be reasonably expected to last about 2 years, monitors about 3, CD drives about 2-3 on average use.

Remember that if you wish to dispute that a product has not been durable in accordance with the Sale of Goods Act, then after six months the burden of proof is on the customer. If you provide this proof, a retailer is obliged to carry out the repair.

Forum Editor 23:29 31 Oct 2003

isn't defined in the relevant legislation for obvious reasons - it would be impossible to do so.

Each case that comes before the courts is decided on its merits - the judge making the assesment as to whether or not the item failed inside or outside his/her judgment of what is 'reasonable' in the circumstances.

fredj 08:25 01 Nov 2003

Thanks for all your very helpful replies.

Stuartli 12:17 01 Nov 2003

The Retra website (which represents radio, electrical and television retailers) also has durability of products expectation details:

click here

Look under Consumer link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017