Sainsbury's. What's going on ?

krypt1c 10:39 24 Jun 2010

I recently did a search for an item. and Sainsbury's offered the best deal so I tried to buy it. But, because I don't have a mobile telephone I couldn't get the site to accept my order. They now require a mobile number in order to register. So they lost an order. And there's more. I have an on-line savings a/c with them, and I got an e-mail telling me future on-line transactions will require an activation code, which will only be sent via an SMS. So now I can't use my account. Needless to say I've decided to close my savings a/c. Great customer service NOT.

Ford Prefect 01 11:06 24 Jun 2010

Have you tried putting your landline number in?

ronalddonald 11:30 24 Jun 2010

how would a landline accept sms text, and Sainbury are not he best overall

krypt1c 11:58 24 Jun 2010

Hi there. As ronalddonald says a landline is no use. There is an option for a landline on the site, but if you don't enter a mobile number it just comes back asking for one.

Colin 12:47 24 Jun 2010

It won't help with services that require SMS, but witn regard to ordering online just enter any old number and it will be accepted. It's worked for me in the past. It's unlikely they'll ring the mobile number anyway as that would cost them.

Picklefactory 12:51 24 Jun 2010

SMS texts actually can be sent to a landline number nowadays. I don't know how well it would work with the automated activation codes, but it is an auto read facility. I have received a few, but the time taken for them to arrive has not been instant.

chub_tor 12:51 24 Jun 2010

I would back up Colin here as I don't have a mobile phone either and when forced to enter a number by the website I type in Not1 and it has always been accepted. But as he says it doesn't help with the SMS issue

iscanut 13:26 24 Jun 2010

I can send and receive texts on my land line !

krypt1c 13:32 24 Jun 2010

Thanks for all the interest. However, it's not really about being able to get around not having a mmobile, but the fact that a company has so little sense of customer relations / service.

wiz-king 14:21 24 Jun 2010

I have a mobile phone but I dont give out the number to all and sundry. I would not give it to a store, it is for me to use in an emergency, like last night when I came across a woman trapped in her car having been involved in a hit and run accident.

Colin 14:33 24 Jun 2010

krypt1c - I take your point. Maybe their marketing department is run by someone called Tarquin "if you don't have an iPhone you may as well be dead" Smythe!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?