S-ATA AND RAID?

rickimalone 15:22 17 Jun 2004

I know I should really know this but after being questioned about it the other day I realised that I dont fully understand it.

I have in my Mesh Matrix 3000+ FX, a S-ATA 160GB hard drive which I think i'm right in saying offers me a higher transfer rate of data than the ata-133 drives?

What I dont fully understand is RAID and the RAID ARRAY terms used with newer HDD set ups?

If anyone could answer this or point me to a site with an explanation with possible benefits it would be great.

That Bloke 16:32 17 Jun 2004

RAID is a method of setting up multiple hard drives so that data is not lost should one of them fail. They can also provide much faster response times than a single disk, and so are often used in situations where HDD access speed is a factor such as Servers or high end workstations, especially when doing multimedia work.

A RAID array can be setup using any disk technology, but will need a RAID controller in order to manage them. At the cheapest end this may be managed by the Operating System, but it is far better to use a dedicated hardware RAID Controller. This will present the array as a single disk to the OS.

click here has some pretty good explanations.

cycoze 19:31 18 Jun 2004

Another site click here with a RAID Tutorial .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)