RIP the PDA? Website poll

PC Advisor. 10:41 05 Sep 2003

Hi folks,

It's latest poll time again. Whither (wither?) the PDA. Your opinions please.

AS EVER, PLEASE INDICATE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE QUOTED BY YOUR REAL NAME.

sdf 10:52 05 Sep 2003

I?ve worked in the Mobile Phone Retail sector a while now, as such I get experience with a lot of the phones available in my solving problems and just using them to be able to talk knowledgably about them. Although I am certain a fully integrated device will lay the PDA as we know it to rest, I do not believe yet. I have a knowledge of most of the mainstream Phones, The XDA, SPV series, P800, Blackberry etc and although all good, each with distinctive benefits/drawbacks, I do not think any of them have what it takes to lure the market as a whole. Watch this space though, who knows what's round the next corner.

-pops- 11:50 05 Sep 2003

The "don't know or care" alternative missing yet again. I have no interest in PDAs nor mobile phones except insofar as they will function as a telephone away from my main landline one.

OK, I am antique and perhaps old fashioned but there are a lot of us about - quite a few who are members of this forum.

Brian

powerless 11:54 05 Sep 2003

PDA's will be gone sometime (soon?) as far as i am concerned.

I do not see the point in them.

Computers are popping up every these days.

Phones of course will be with us and yup bye bye PDA as 2 become 1.

ricvic 12:00 05 Sep 2003

I use both, a lot!
It's so annoying that they won't talk to each other without add-ons. Whether enhanced phone or connected PDA (I really don't care which), let's get them together.

Brian-336451 13:15 05 Sep 2003

My pda (clie) is incredibly useful for my job flying.

It has a logbook, timezones, conversion factors, easy to use calculator etc plus all the normal stuff.

My phone (Nokia 6310i) is useful for making world wide telephone calls. Frankly the calcuator on it is rubbish, bluetooth, web access and ir overrated in their usefulness.

No, my Clie stays as does my phone. If you have this latest mania for integration all your eggs are definitely in one basket.

These old idioms survive for sensible reasons.

davidg_richmond 13:22 05 Sep 2003

I've used PDAs almost every day over the last year and a half, and have recently got my hands on a Sony Ericsson T610 that syncs with Outlook.

Having used both, I much prefer using my PDA for most tasks. It's got a bigger, nicer screen (over twice as large), and it's much easier to put information into (add-on keyboard, short-hand, handwriting recognition). For a phone to take on these features, it would be have to be twice as big and heavy as a normal phone and then I couldn't slip it into my pocket on a night out, so no good for me.

I will be using the two separate devices for the foreseeable future.

Pauper 14:16 05 Sep 2003

I currently use a Toshiba E310, this is an excellent device which handles a multitude of tasks from being a simple address book through to handling all of my excel and word requirements etc when mobile using any of the five data input methods dependent on the situation. The size of its screen means that it can be used comfortably and in any light conditions. The relative small size and weight of the device allows it to be genuinely carried in my shirt pocket, which is great for work, but when wearing t-shirt and shorts it becomes a little too large. When away on business, the combination of the pda plus a Pocketop ir keyboard allows be to have a device which can be used to easily type reports and review and amendment PowerPoint presentations in much the same way as a laptop would, although an advantage of the pda/ir keyboard function is that it can be used in the confines of an economy class aircraft cabin without upsetting your neighbour (maybe I should think about changing company's?), however an important question here is can you use you mobile phone/pda in these circumstances? – that’ll be a no due to the mobile ban in aircraft cabins!

My mobile on the other hand is a simple Nokia 5210e, as my travel is restricted generally to Europe this 'phone completes my tasks which is principally to allow me to make and receive phone calls, it also sits unobtrusively in its holder in my car taking up minimal space. It can also be switched off in meetings when I may need the pda, a similar story applies if you want to read the news etc when in a hospital - or taking details from patients notes if you are a doctor. The small design of the phone permits it to be slipped into a pocket and forgotten about, handy for when I do not need the functionality of a pda, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to replace if it gets nicked.

I do believe with others that in time a pda/mobile 'phone combination will rule the roost, but in my opinion that time is not in the near future.

(PCA any form of id acceptable if needed)

Forum Editor 14:27 05 Sep 2003

daily, for collecting my email via my mobile phone, and for maintaining my contact lists and client billing details. I tell myself that I would be lost without it, but if someone offers me a phone that can do all that at no extra cost I'll jump at the chance. It would be one less device to carry around after all.

bfoc 16:53 05 Sep 2003

At the moment there is a problem of size. I like my phone to be small and neat and I like my PDA screen to be big enough to be useful. Although it would be great if the technologies could merge.

I would suggest that what we would like is an on-body wireless network, which has different 'terminals' for different functions. A small headset for phone calls and music, a hand-sized (or glasses sized??) screen for inputting/reading data and web-browsing. Anyone else got suggestions?

Of course then it would be the PDA which was ousting the phone!

anchor 19:22 05 Sep 2003

I use my PDA, (iPaq), with my Tom-Tom Navigator GPS system. I cannot see that any mobile phone will ever replace it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?