returning a netbook

evemakena 11:00 03 Jun 2009

I bought a netbook (compaq mini 700) from CURRYS on the 8th of May as an ex-display.
it wasnt saving my documents properly on microsoft word so i took it back the next day and they tried to fix it and said to see if the problem continues and if so they can offer me a re-found
The're now saying they cant do a full refound on it and they recomended that i re-boot the netbook, i did so but the problem is still there plus
the blue-tooth device on the netbook doesnt pick up anything and the
key 2 when i press shift+2 it doesnt show the " it shows @
and for the ' button whne i press shift+' it shows "

basically the're being idiots about the whole thing and getting a load of staff members to try convice me there's nothing wrong with it!
is there a law again this kind of thing? plus i bought it for writting essays and the netbook isnt giving me the service i bought it for.
cant i contact the trading services or something?

tullie 11:38 03 Jun 2009

For a start think you may have it set to american keyboard.

Taff™ 11:40 03 Jun 2009

I`m pretty sure that even though it was an ex-display model it carries a full 12 month warranty. Also don`t Curry`s offer a 30 day no quibble returns policy? You are covered under the Sale Of Goods Act anyway.

Now, the problem with the keyboard is easily solved. It`s currently set to USA and needs to be changed to British. Which Operating System is it on?

The bluetooth - is it actually installed on this model? If so ask them to prove that it works with a mobile phone whilst you`re in the store.

It sounds to me like when the store put this out on display they just installed all the defaults for the operating system - they may not even have installed all the drivers which might explain why the bluetooth isn`t working.

Taff™ 12:03 03 Jun 2009

click here Scroll down to Faulty Goods near the end. "If there is a fault with your product within the applicable product guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) or other defect with your order, we will normally offer a prompt repair service. You will always have the option of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault."

Seems pretty conclusive to me. Return to the store and politely ask someone to show you how to resolve your problems and if they fail to do so ask them to honour their own terms and conditions of sale.

spuds 18:16 03 Jun 2009

Currys and DSG do usually give a fairly good returns policy on some of their items, but this is an addition more than a legal requirement. Consumer law is paramount usually, but this can vary depending on whether the item was purchased for business or pleasure use.

But having stated that, beware about the item being a 'display model', because this could render the item as second hand or second user. The actual manufacturer may well wash their hands of the item, if the 'display model' or 'demo model' is mentioned. I would also mention that Currys would be in their rights to agree 'at the time and point of sale', as to the guarantee or warranty provision. If no special terms or conditions were applied at that time, then consider that at least a 'usual' warranty will apply.

Currys are the seller, so its usually their responsibility to offer any help or assistance on a 'normal sale' procedure or purchase. If in any doubt, then contact Consumer Direct click here (08454 040 506) or Consumer Line in Northern Ireland (0845 600 6262) if you live there.

Woolwell 19:07 03 Jun 2009

It has Windows XP.

The Bluetooth problem may be due to a Windows update. click here

Woolwell 19:08 03 Jun 2009

ps For writing essays you would probably be better off with a laptop/notebook rather than a netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?