Returning laptop to PC World within 28 days

CHarker 19:56 05 Mar 2008

Am I entitled to demand a refund without going through repair/warranty?

I bought this laptop on 17th Feb 2008 as an ex-display model but I've not had much luck with it.

An i/o conflict between IDE channel and dvd burner means BSOD whenever I try to burn a DVD - the solution to this requires accessing the BIOS but, of course, PC World have a customized Phoenix BIOS which has next to no options available.

The battery has broken - it was 100% charged but after rebooting it now says "0% plugged in but not charging". This means I have to keep it on AC power. Hardly ideal for a laptop :P

Also, there've been numerous other BSOD's - changing screen resolution makes my pc switch off!

I've updated all the drivers etc to no avail.

I tried contacting tech guys but they insist I ring a £1.50 per minute tech support line. I know where they can go with that idea!

In a word, I'm not satisfied that this laptop will last and I want my money back.

Where do I stand and how should I approach PC World?

CHarker 20:20 05 Mar 2008

click here

The answer was on their website. D'oh. I must be blind!

Cancellations and Returns

Cancellation (Delivery items only)
If you have chosen to have your order delivered, you can cancel your purchase at any time either
before or up to 14 days after delivery by:

+

+

+

+ Returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you
paid with, so that it can be credited); following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery
documentation;

Emailing us at [email protected];

Phoning us on 0844 561 0000- please have your order reference number and delivery details to hand;

Writing to after sales:

P.O. Box 1925
Sheffield
S2 5XW (please do not post products to this address)

Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to
examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It
should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs,
CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must
also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product
to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns
labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:

+

+

+

+

+

+ You have chosen a [email protected] option;

You return your product to a store without proof of purchase;

There is a contract for services with the product and you have started using the services (this would
include e.g. a mobile phone subscription, but not an extended warranty service agreement);

The seal has been broken on any software including games; or

The goods were a special order to your specification.

Return of Faulty Goods - Delivery Items

The following are guidelines for all goods ordered for delivery. (For [email protected] orders, please see
in store Terms and Conditions and your receipt wallet). Wherever possible we will respond to your
individual circumstances.

If there is a fault with your product within 12 months of delivery (or other defect with your order),
we will normally offer a prompt repair, exchange or refund. We will always offer you the choice of
an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery.

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:

+

+ In otherwise in 'as-new' condition;

Complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it (and, if possible, the original box and
packaging).

Please return the product to a PC World store or phone PC World aftersales on 0844 561 0000
(9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturday & 10am to 5pm on Sunday). If a fault
occurs while you are abroad, please contact us after you return to the UK.

This promise does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear.
For consumable items (e.g. batteries, camera films, ink cartridges etc) the guarantee period is three
months from delivery.

If a pre-recorded videotape, DVD, CD, Minidisc or other software is faulty under guarantee we will
happily exchange it for the same title or refund your money.

Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charges.
We will also pay for our costs of collecting goods for replacement or refund if they are not taken into
a store. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only (i.e. premium services are not
available).

CHarker 20:20 05 Mar 2008

I just hope the fact it is ex-display doesn't change this.

merciarich 20:32 05 Mar 2008

I have many a time had issues with PC World.

I have had 2 laptops previously from them, both having to go back.

The first one went faulty within 6 months - they sent it off for repair but I never got it back. I insisted they exchange it for another laptop.

My second laptop was bought in the New Years sales. By the end of January, it had 3 diferent faults so it went back.

The fact that they say 14 or 28 days is their policy - it isnt law.

Law states that you can return a product that is not fit for purchase within 6 months.

Go to the store and ask for a manager. Explain the issue to them and state that under the Sale of Goods Act, they are obliged to issue a refund/replacement. They dont like it when customers demand their rights and they usually do what is asked just to get you out of the store.

100andthirty 20:51 05 Mar 2008

Seems to me that the laptop is faulty; ignore the terms and conditions. Rely on the sale of goods act that requires things to be sold that are of "satisfactory" quality. It's effectively up to PCW to show that the laptop wasn't faulty if it's less than 6 months old since you purchased it.

If you want to bone up on consumer law, look at the consumer direct web site. Print off relevant bits.

At the store be polite and insist on seeing someone in authority.

wee eddie 22:14 05 Mar 2008

If you are using the Software supplied and have done nothing to alter the Laptop. Then I suggest that you have a good case.

However, if you go into PCW demanding your Rights, everyone will go on the defencive and you will end up with the default solution, which is Tech Guys at £1.50 per minute.

However if you go in there, at a quiet time of the day when they've got plenty time to spare and ask to see the Manager or the Assistant M. Then you quietly explain what has happened and ask them what you should do. You might get a favourable solution and an Oscar for behaving like Mr Nice, when you're seething inside.

merciarich 23:15 05 Mar 2008

"However, if you go into PCW demanding your Rights, everyone will go on the defencive and you will end up with the default solution, which is Tech Guys at £1.50 per minute."

Have to disagree with this. What do you think consumer rights are for? Just worthless statements written on worthless paper?

"However if you go in there, at a quiet time of the day when they've got plenty time to spare and ask to see the Manager or the Assistant M. Then you quietly explain what has happened and ask them what you should do."

Again, I disagree. Ask the manager what you should do and he will say "phone The TechGuys at £1.50 a minute" - TELL them what you want, dont ask them

wee eddie 23:30 05 Mar 2008

You and I obviously have different negotiating styles. Mine have usually worked for me.

I have seen a number of people shouting at Store Staff, demanding their Rights, and it is apparent to the casual observer that the member of staff has switched off and will pass the buck rather than address the problem.

Each to their own.

Scorpion Bay 00:01 06 Mar 2008

.....follow merciarich's advice at your peril

Don't go in demanding anything. I run the customer services department of a branch of a large high street retailer at the weekends and I promise you that one of the worst things that can come out of your mouth first is "I know my rights" and then going on to make demands. When someone does that to me, it's like waving a red flag at a bull and they've pretty much had it, especially if they're rude. As I'm a law graduate and training to be a solicitor, I know that 999 times out of 1000, I know the customer's rights better than they do and I usually end up getting my way. Don't forget, the store will want to protect their profits, so if you give them an excuse to refuse a refund, they'll take it. If the manager knows and is comfortable with the law, making demands will only hinder you.

Even if the person serving you doesn't know the law, they'll probably get defensive anyway. I've seen my friends make various demands from time to time, and the rate at which the shops close ranks is breathtaking. Even if there's only one possible outcome, the shops do tend to make things awkward.

Just go in and be calm with them. Explain your situation and the outcome you want. Don't be afraid to refuse their suggested solution if you don't like it, just don't get agressive. If they really don't try to help you, then explain that you are aware of your rights as a consumer. Any half decent manager will bend over backwards to help a polite customer, sepecially if they value your custom.

Then again, this is PC World.....

CHarker 11:54 06 Mar 2008

My plan is to speak to one of the guys on the floor and state the situation and how I'm not happy with the laptop. If he only offers exchange/repair, I'll ask for the manager.

I can't see an exchange being offered because this model os no longer sold by PC World.
I'm not happy for a repair either - the fact this is ex-display means these problems could be due to in-store wear and tear!

If the manager cannot arrange a refund, I've already consulted Consumer Direct and gotten a ref. no. and included it in a letter. I'll send this by recorded delivery to the store and advise I am giving 14 days for a refund otherwise legal action will ensue.

wee eddie 12:38 06 Mar 2008

but buying a "Display Model" puts you in an invidious position regarding repair/replacement.

That it should work is undoubted, and yours appears to be faulty, however, as a display model it will likely have been working for a considerable period of time before they decided to move it on.

Are you sure that there is nothing that you have done that might have created this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?