Retail XP Home Edition

Ex plorer 17:49 12 Jul 2008

Hi I have two PCs both running WinXP, One XP disc came with the PC at an extra cost which is OEM.
---------

The second PC which is home built, I bought an XP disk on line wich was a retail version about 4 years ago.

I was hoping to use the Retail Version disk on a Laptop in the near future.

Am I right in assuming that I can use my retail version again on a different PC providing its only loaded on one PC at any one time.

(in other words it will be removed from the home built PC)

If not, and XP is still available I would rather purchase an XP disc and buy a laptop without an OS if possible than have Vista just now, just a preference that's all.

Gota go now, but I will be back in the morning and any advice is appreciated.
Ex

ronalddonald 18:08 12 Jul 2008

i cant see why there should a problem so long as you comply to what you have said.

You may have to register over the internet or by phone to microsoft.

You can buy non os laptop s from click here

spuds 18:47 12 Jul 2008

Providing you use the retail version on one machine only, then Microsoft will not object, when you activate.

chub_tor 20:01 12 Jul 2008

I have used my retail (upgrade version) of XP on several machines - but only on one at a time of course - and never had a problem with activation although I have had to call Microsoft several times to explain what I have done.

interzone55 21:57 12 Jul 2008

As others have said, retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, as long as it's only on one PC at a time.

If you move it often you may find that activation fails and you will need to telephone MS for manual activation, this is because the hardware is scanned during activation and a checksum based on the serial numbers of various components is passed to the activation servers.

This data disappears off the server after 6 months, so if you wait at least 6 months between hardware changes you experience any problems.

OEM licenses are different, that license is tied to the PC and cannot be reused

Ex plorer 13:07 13 Jul 2008

Hi all thanks for the feed-back, now you have confirmed I can use XP Retail on my Lap-Top when I have removed it from this machine thanks all.
Ex

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie